Pasting from WORD

John C June 23, 2022

I have searched around and didn't see any recent or clear info on this:

Is there a way to paste stories from Word and keeping the formatting?  None of the paste options seem to work effectively.  Sometimes I get two bullets next to each other and the indenting never comes over to JIRA.  Especially frustrating when you have a 4 page story to re-format again after pasting into JIRA. 

Steps to recreate:

1. Write my story in word.

2. Copy and paste from word to jira.

Thanks in advance!

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 23, 2022

Not really John. The formatting including fonts and such are not necessarily going to be the same between confluence and Word. Is there a reason why you're constructing a document in word first? Maybe these are pre-existing documents that you want to move over to Confluence?

John C June 27, 2022

"Is there a reason why you're constructing a document in word first? "

It's a very big story and bigger stories are so much easier to write on a separate document rather than in JIRA. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 27, 2022

I'm confused, are you using Jira or Confluence? Are you creating a Story or Use Case? If you are using Confluence it is my experience that it is as easy, if not easier, to write a document versus Word.

John C June 28, 2022

Creating a story in Jira. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 28, 2022

So I assume you are pasting into the Description field. Certainly you will have limited success pasting from a full word editor into a field supporting markdown. so some manual cleanup will be required.

Suggest an answer