Page inaccessible - Confluence is vacant error

The following error started happening after my server was unexpectedly restarted. Everything was working fine prior to this. Now the page is inaccessible, and I receive the following error below, in catalina.out

Caused by: com.atlassian.confluence.tenant.VacantException: Confluence is vacant, a call to tenanted [public abstract org.hibernate.Session org.hibernate.SessionFactory.getCurrentSession() throws org.hibernate.HibernateException] is not allowed.
at com.atlassian.confluence.tenant.TenantGate$1.lambda$create$0(TenantGate.java:43)
at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:179)
at org.springframework.aop.framework.JdkDynamicAopProxy.invoke(JdkDynamicAopProxy.java:208)
at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy54.getCurrentSession(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
at org.springframework.aop.support.AopUtils.invokeJoinpointUsingReflection(AopUtils.java:302)
at org.springframework.aop.framework.JdkDynamicAopProxy.invoke(JdkDynamicAopProxy.java:202)
at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy54.getCurrentSession(Unknown Source)
at org.springframework.orm.hibernate5.HibernateTemplate.doExecute(HibernateTemplate.java:344)
at org.springframework.orm.hibernate5.HibernateTemplate.execute(HibernateTemplate.java:313)
at com.atlassian.confluence.setup.bandana.persistence.dao.hibernate.HibernateConfluenceBandanaRecordDao.getRecord(HibernateConfluenceBandanaRecordDao.java:39)
at com.atlassian.confluence.setup.bandana.ConfluenceDaoBandanaPersister.retrieve(ConfluenceDaoBandanaPersister.java:29)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
at org.springframework.aop.support.AopUtils.invokeJoinpointUsingReflection(AopUtils.java:302)
at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.invokeJoinpoint(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:190)
at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:157)
at org.springframework.transaction.interceptor.TransactionInterceptor$1.proceedWithInvocation(TransactionInterceptor.java:99)
at org.springframework.transaction.interceptor.TransactionAspectSupport.invokeWithinTransaction(TransactionAspectSupport.java:281)
at org.springframework.transaction.interceptor.TransactionInterceptor.invoke(TransactionInterceptor.java:96)
at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:179)
at org.springframework.aop.framework.JdkDynamicAopProxy.invoke(JdkDynamicAopProxy.java:208)
at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy55.retrieve(Unknown Source)
at com.atlassian.confluence.setup.bandana.ConfluenceCachingBandanaPersister.lambda$retrieve$0(ConfluenceCachingBandanaPersister.java:80)
at com.atlassian.confluence.impl.vcache.SynchronousExternalCache.lambda$get$11(SynchronousExternalCache.java:239)
at com.atlassian.confluence.impl.concurrency.CompletionStageUtils.lambda$foldResult$0(CompletionStageUtils.java:19)
at java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.uniHandle(CompletableFuture.java:822)
... 85 more

2 answers

2 votes
Ann Worley Atlassian Team Oct 31, 2017

Hi Jesse,

Please shut down Confluence and start it again. While it is starting, please monitor the log: <confluence_home>logs/atlassian-confluence.log. You should see Starting Confluence, then a system report, then a list of add-ons loading. Eventually an entry should come up saying "Confluence is ready to serve.". Please watch the log for any events that seem out of the ordinary between starting Confluence and "Confluence is ready to serve."

I look forward to hearing what you find.

Thanks,

Ann

This was a good tip Ann, I primarily was looking at /opt/atlassian/confluence/logs files.

Upon opening up the one you suggested, I see some database related errors. I'm wondering if maybe I"m using an out-dated version.

When attempting to start mysqld it fails and in its logs I see some errors about the log size having to be less than 4gb. I don't think any mysql logs are that large, so I'm troubleshooting currently.

Either way I'll come back and let you all know how it goes!

Ann Worley Atlassian Team Nov 02, 2017

I am happy I was able to point you toward a possible solution - I look forward to your findings.

0 vote

Hi Jesse,

We have an article with some troubleshooting steps for this:

You can see the cause is usually that the host name is not resolving to an IP address.

Can you try the steps there and let us know if you're able to get Confluence started?

Kind Regards,
Shannon

I looked at this briefly because it has the same error, but it also says "on install", which threw me off. This is not a new installation.

I will look at it a bit more carefully and return with my results!

Thank you.

Yeah...no luck - I confirmed that the hostname was resolving, still getting the same error when I try to bring up the page.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Jul 10, 2018 in Confluence

We want to see the templates you've created in Confluence!

Hi Community, Jessica here from the Confluence Product Marketing team!  July’s community challenge is all about sharing pictures  — and as an extension of our first post on what ...

910 views 23 12
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you