Page editing restrictions confused me

Andreas_Oeser October 23, 2019

We have strange behavior with our site access permissions:

I am an admin ins our confluence system (confluence-administrators group) and this group had complete access in a confluence space (all green). The pages, belongs to this site, have restricted access. (editing restricted) and i can´t edit this page.
What confuses me is that i am appear in the list of users who are allowed to edit and I can't see the "edit" link, nevertheless. I dont know, who give me that access rights (mabye confluence itself?) - but it didn´t work properly in my point of view. 

2 answers

0 votes
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 23, 2019

Here is the problem and it really has to do with a misleading behavior of the page restrictions dialog. The page does have edit restrictions and you are not one of the people in the list. It looks like you are when you open the dialog because Confluence it trying to be helpful and figures if you make any changes that you will want to be one of the editors, so it auto adds your account to the list. However, that doesn't actually get saved to the list till you hit the "Apply" button. Basically, it is trying to prevent you from being able to lock yourself out of a page when creating restrictions by forgetting to also add yourself.

Stefan Nahr November 6, 2019

Hello Davin,
I'm a colleague of Andi and we together administer Confluence. So let me jump in here. You are talkin about the "Apply"-Button, but we can't add ourselves via this dialog. As you mentioned, Confluence tries to be helpfull, but imo here at the wrong point. When we both open the page-restrictions of the same page, we both only see ourselves on the list with edit-permission (beside other users), but not each other. And we can't add ourselves to the list, because it looks like Confluence looks convinced, we are already enlisted. AND even while we see ourselves in the restriction-list with edit-permission, the page misses the Edit-Button.

So to me it looks like a bad bug because in the Restriction-list there is a wrong informantion. A user is stated with edit-permission, but
- for this user the corresponding page doesn't show the edit-button
- another admin, who opens the restriction-list of the same page doesn't see that user in the SAME list. He can add the user to list, while the user himself already sees his name with permission enlisted

0 votes
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 23, 2019

If there is an edit restriction set (and you are not listed there) you would not be able to edit the page even if you are having permission to edit in the specific space. 

confluence-administrators group allows you only to see all spaces and content, but not edit everything. It is respecting permissions/restrictions.

Yes, i am with you - but why is my name also in this list of allowed users ? Bug? Feature? Misunderstanding?

Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 23, 2019

What is a "list of allowed users"? Could you please clarify? Or maybe paste a screenshot that is worth more than a thousand words? :)

Of course :)

2019-10-23 14_19_11.jpg

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events