Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PDF not opening in Internet Explorer

MASH Trust Atlassian ICT Team October 30, 2012

Hello,

We run Confluence 4.3.2 and store PDF's within it for our staff to open (Great)..
We have just been alerted that when a pdf is clicked for opening (only within Internet Exploer), instead of opening it asks to be saved.

Chrome works perfect

This is not a PC specific issue as we have multiple reports of the same issue across the orginisation.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? what could it be? - please advise (apart from installing Chrome on all the PC's)....

Thanks,

Grant

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
onkeldom
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 27, 2012

Just worked this issue through with Atlassian.This problem is already confirmed as a bug tracked here:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-26994

There is a workaround which helped me solving the problem for us:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=311920262

You should check it out ...

0 votes
onkeldom
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 27, 2012

We have the EXACT same problems. Win7 and IE9 won't open PDFs provided by Confluence. EVERY other site on the internet/intranet works like a charm. Chrome and FF work like a charm.

It's a very very strange problem with Confluence and IE. As a matter of face, JIRA seems to work fine.

This has nothing to do with SSL either, since it behaves like that using a fresh local install of Confluence as well.

It's a major show stopper here because the ViewPDF-Plugin sucks with an incrediblly poor rendering quality.

Atlassian should really do something about that - those annoying IE bugs are very non-enterprise like :(

0 votes
Selcuk Savas
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 30, 2012

Hi Grant,

Check that is there an outstanding updated for Adobe reader.

Check that is there an ourstanding update for IE and add-ons. Are Adobe add-ons enabled?

Also there should be setting in Adobe reader

Edit>Prefrences

chose internet on the left hand side and select/tick Display PDF in prowser.

I had many problems in the past. IE and Adobe don't get along with each other very well.

Even though you fix the issue with next update/upgrade it may be broken again.

If you'd like to keep your self busy try to find a solution if you are time poor FF and Chrome is the way to go.

Cheers,

Selcuk

0 votes
Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 30, 2012

We'd had this problem once and it had to do with Adobe Reader not having the right version, problems with the Adobe Reader plugin for Internet Explorer. Anyhow, end of the day - Chrome has built-in PDF support and why it's working.

I'd look at Adobe Reader and/or Adobe Reader + Internet Explorer integration.

MASH Trust Atlassian ICT Team October 30, 2012

I might have neglected to state that we are able to open any PDF from the internet successully from internet explorer....

I believe it to be a Confluence issue (even a plug-in incompatiblity issue)...

I have 'disabled' all our plugins tempoarily to see if this was the issue - unfortunitly it didn't resolve the issue.

Thanks,

Grant

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events