So my first day on Confluence and trying to structure something that would look like a Word outline view with titles then nodes to drill down deeper into.  Its to document companys various components with ability to drill down into details.
Can someone give me the A,B,Cs of how to do this?
Also, once my documentation is complete is it easy to move the whole document and drill down structure into a different section in confluence?
I'm trying to build something privately then post it in a main section later where everyone can see it.

Any suggestions appreciated!

4 answers

1 accepted

OK, I'm learning so much!

If I move something, what about all the links?  Will they be broken or is confluence smart enough to keep the links intact even though everything moved?  :      )

Confluence will keep up with internal links ok. Especially if you use local space links. Something like [My Page] will always link to the page titled "My Page" in the current space, so moving it around is fine. [Space: My Page] is a bit more flexible, it used to break, and I haven't tested it for a long time. I've also remembered one downside of moving pages between spaces - you can't have duplicate page names, so a move can fail if you try to move pages with duplicate names into another space. It'll tell you, and block the move, but it can be a bit fiddly.

1 vote
Davin Studer Community Champion Apr 09, 2015

The Table of Content macro will take the headings in you document and create a nested table of contents based on them. That is the easiest way to get your content stuctured.

0 vote

Davin is right.

In case you need the documentation regarding the macro usage you can find it here.

Cheers,

Rodrigo

Sounds good.  So if I want to do this off the stage can I do this all in my personal space, get the thumbs up from my manager and then move it to center stage if you will for everyone to see?

Or am I better off setting it up initially in the correct place, keeping it restricted from view then releasing restrictions?  Please advise, thanks so much!

Either is good actually, and unless you have a good reason to do it one way, then I'd say it's more down to personal choice. I tend to favour "work in personal space and move it when approved" because I find it fractionally easier to move than remember what restrictions I've put in (and if you're restricting stuff, sometimes you have to do it to include many people and it's simply quicker to move). I've a nasty habit of forgetting to remove them when I need to publish. But your preference will come with time and experience. If you need something more strictly controlled, have a look at Comala Workflows and Scroll versions.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Jul 10, 2018 in Confluence

We want to see the templates you've created in Confluence!

Hi Community, Jessica here from the Confluence Product Marketing team!  July’s community challenge is all about sharing pictures  — and as an extension of our first post on what ...

583 views 20 11
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you