Out of Memory : Metaspace in Confluence 5.8 with Java 8

ChangJoon Lee June 8, 2015

Hi, everyone,

If I remember correctly, Confluence 5.8 is the first confluence version which dropped support of Java 7.

Now, I'm running Confluence 5.8.4 with Java 8(1.8.0_45) on Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite

After upgrading to Confluence 5.8 from 5.7, everyday it stops working due to "Out of memory : Metaspace" exception.

I see the explicit command line in following location.

INST_DIR/bin/setenv.sh

contains,

CATALINA_OPTS="-Xms1024m -Xmx1024m -XX:MaxMetaspaceSize=256m -XX:+UseG1GC ${CATALINA_OPTS}"

As far as I understand Metaspace for Java 8, the MaxMetaspaceSize is unlimited by default.

Why would we want to have limitation here instead of leave as it is?

From now on, I will remove MaxMetaspaceSize option, and will see what happens next.

1 answer

1 accepted

7 votes
Answer accepted
ChangJoon Lee June 9, 2015

JAVA VM Status from Confluence Administrator Page

Heap memory = 1024MB

Used = 732MB

Free = 291MB (29%)

Process Monitor

VIRT = 5599MB

RES = 1794MB

MEM% = 11% (System Memory = 8GB)

Current status without MaxMetaspaceSize option

So far, no sign of "Out of Memory".

Conclusion

Get rid of that option!

Martin Buchleitner June 22, 2015

I also removed this parameter after having trouble with the maxmetaspace ... Working just fine now :)

Bernard Vandaele July 10, 2015

same here unbelievable support was sending me different values to "try and see"

James Rogers August 3, 2015

I had all my apps running on one sever with 8GB RAM (crowd, jira, stash, confluence, bamboo). I kept getting the OutOfMemory error and kept increasing MX. Server was at 7GB with 500MB Swap used. I even moved confluence to it's own VM with it's own 8GB RAM...max 4GB used with zero Swap (wasting 4GB RAM) Still kept getting the error. Then I finally tried to figure out what MetaSpace was. (at least ask a question here). Thank you all for the answer here. I have removed the value from my setenv.sh and am anticipating positive results!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events