One Space per Document? Or per Release?

Tech Writers:

Do you create one space per document or is it sufficient to create one space per release/doc set?

If you create one space per release, is there a way to create document/page specific footers for PDF output? Only way I can figure out is one footer for the entire space, which means manually changing for each PDF output for publishing... sad

2 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

Hi Stacy

Are you using Scroll Versions or any other add-ons to manage your documentation? One space per document sounds hard to manage. Seems like what you are looking for can be better handled using Scroll Versions.

Also recommend taking a look at Scroll PDF Exports. And the documentation for out-of-the-box capabilties including Page Rules at https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/advanced-pdf-export-customizations-198806890.html

Cheers

Bhushan

This widget could not be displayed.

Hi Stacy,

Having used Confluence for 5+ years for documentation (plus set up systems for multiple clients), I can share some insights. If your primary delivery model is PDF, then you MUST get Scroll PDF Exporter. It will allow you to generate professional looking PDFs with branding, custom footers, doc-specific information. It WILL take some work to get it working right, and you will be frustrated at times, but it is the best approach. I figure I can get about 90% of what I can do with FrameMaker this way (as seen by an outsider).

On doc organization, I have all my user guides in one space. You have to watch out for page name collisions, but I just prepend part of the doc title as needed to make it unique (Scroll has a macro that will let you override the title on PDF export, BTW, so you can rename a page from  "WYZ Overview" to just "Overview").

And since Scroll PDF has the concept of both templates and schemes, plus support REST calls, I have links that the root of each doc with the REST link to generate the PDF using the correct template and scheme (BTW, I use the scheme settings AND page metadata to pass items needed for customization).

To make this work, you will need to know Velocity (VTL) and CSS, and probably how to create user macros.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Sep 17, 2018 in Confluence

Why start from scratch? Introducing four new templates for Confluence Cloud

Hi my Community friends!  For those who don't know me, I'm a product marketer on the Confluence Cloud team - nice to meet you! For those of you who do, you know that I've been all up in your Co...

582 views 7 6
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you