NullPointerException after upgrading from Server to DC

Kaur Joakit December 8, 2020

Hi!

We tried to upgrade our Confluence from Server to DC yesterday evening.

What we did?

1. Update license key to DC

2. Restart Confluence service

3. Login

4. Navigated around, saw that all previously uploaded images/screenshots/attachments were missing from previously created pages. Whilst loading Confluence articles/pages with attachments, DevOps saw bunch of NullPointerException errors in the logs and all images etc appeared as thumbnails in the articles

5. Also some amount of user profile pictures were broken

Could anyone refer what we did wrong or what is the cause of this?

Found URL with similar issue - does this fix help?

https://confluence.atlassian.com/confkb/confluence-throws-nullpointerexception-when-migrating-attachments-from-database-to-filesystem-933097621.html

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Deniz Oğuz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 8, 2020

Did you setup a shared home directory? I don't think it is much different than Jira and attachments and avatars are loaded from shared home directory. 

We use non-clustered DC, I assume then we do not need to set up any home directory?

Deniz Oğuz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 8, 2020

I don't think so. Even if it is one node, you need to setup a shared home and local home directory. It is very easy to add a shared home directory and  if you are using one node you can use a local directory you don't need a network share. 

Everything OK now, we set up home directory and I think it helped, thanks!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events