Notify Page edit - deactive checkbox by default

Heike S January 7, 2022

Hi everyone,

when you edit a page there is a checkbox to click to prevent watchers from being notified about changes.

I know that if you uncheck that, people won't be notified, but is there a possibility to uncheck this by default and let the user activate it when necessary instead?

In case that is relevant: we're using confluence server.

Have a nice weekend!

Heike

1 answer

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 7, 2022

It used to be on by default in Cloud but now it is off (yay!). I am sort of surprised that it is still on in server. As I am not on server I am unsure if there's a configuration for this. However I did find this post that will instruct you on how to disable globally. How-to-make-Notify-Watchers-in-Edit-page-mode-to-be-unchecked-by-default . Give it a try.

Ok so I also checked JAC and found this issue - CONFSERVER-8276 - Make 'Notify watchers' box selected by default option available . In the update on May 7th 2015 it states...

We're pleased to announce in the next upcoming release of Confluence we will be resolving this issue. We've tried to avoid adding more settings to the product (we've already got plenty!) and our solution for this, which we are confident reaches the same outcome is that we will now remember your last preference for "Notify watchers". So once you've un-checked it, will remember that until preference on any page until you change it back (and visa versa).

Is this the way it works for you now?

Heike S January 10, 2022

As both of those links lead to information 10 and 7 years old, I was hoping to find a more recent approach using standard configuration.

We have quite a lot of occasional users who forget to uncheck more often than not. Therefore keeping the setting does not really resolve the issue here.

Currently I see two possible approaches:

Any other suggestions?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events