None of our Spaces or Data Migrated Over

Todd Willoughby September 22, 2019

We're trying to migrate our Confluence Server version 6.0.2 to a new server by following the guide found here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/conf60/migrating-confluence-between-servers-852732639.html

The original server was a VM on an ESXi host and had the database on the same server. 

The new server is an EC2 instance that connects to a RDS database. The database has already been migrated over to the RDS instance (as far as I can tell). I followed all the instructions in the link above to the letter but none of our spaces or really any of our data is in the new server. Can anyone help me figure out what I did wrong? What logs or configuration files do you need to see in order to help? Thank you for any assistance that anyone can provide.

1 answer

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 25, 2019

Hello Todd,

Thank you for contacting us about this. Happy to help!

According to the documentation you mentioned, as well as the linked Migrating to another database article, these are the steps you would have followed in order:

1. Create an XML backup of data on the old server, via the Confluence administration console, and then retain the backup.
  2. Stop Confluence on the old server.
  3. Copy the Confluence Home directory on the old server as a precautionary measure. Optionally, if you have a large number of attachments, create a backup of the attachments directory.
  4. Make a backup of your external database, also as a precautionary measure. Note that you would not restore from this backup as part of the procedure.
  5. Create a new database and user on the new server, using the database setup instructions. Configure and create a Confluence user per the instructions.
  6. Do a fresh install of the same version of Confluence as the old server onto the new server.
  7. Install the database driver if necessary (in the case of MySQL, for example.)
  8. Run Confluence Setup wizard, supplying the details to connect to your new empty database. 
  9. Restore the XML backup taken in step #1.

At this point, if the restore went well, then Confluence should come online at this step.

Can you confirm these are the steps you took? You mentioned that the database had already been migrated, but this doesn't sound right to me, as the database is only populated after a successful XML import. Upon the XML import step, you will be able to review the Confluence logs to determine why the XML import might have failed.

After a successful migration, and we can confirm that your data was migrated over, you can proceed in getting your instance onto a more recent version. There were a few Security Vulnerabilities announced this past spring, so you'll want to make sure to upgrade to the latest only after we confirm your data has been migrated to the new server.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events