New Editor Questions (Round 1)

Charisma Riley August 19, 2019

Hi, all. We are slowly migrating our classic pages to the new editor, but we are experiencing some issues along the way. The ones I am encountering the most often are as follows:

1. How to either remove the icon from the new panel text (info, warning, etc.), or change which panel color an icon is applied to, when we would like the box alone (no icon) or add a panel icon to a different color panel? Our corporate style guide dictates a yellow box for Informational text, rather than the blue one, and red for Directions.
  2. How to make the size of tables not span the whole width of the page? We used to be able to shorten the width of tables, as a whole, when there was a small bit of information to capture.
  3. How to make text red? We only have two orange text color options.
  4. How to align the title of the page with the left-most line of text, if using the wide page layout?
  5. How to change the text color of inline code?
  6. How to insert images inline with text, such as an icon or small image?
  7. How to add monospace formatting with a fixed-width font without the inline code style applied, e.g., preformatted text.
  8. How to redo / undo formatting for the next selection?
  9. How to enable spellcheck as we type? How about before publishing?
  10. How to change from smart quotes to standard quotation marks?
  11. How to use Find and Replace within a page?

Thanks, in advance everyone!

1 answer

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 22, 2019

Hello @Charisma Riley,

Happy to help answer your questions about the new editor.

1. It is not possible to remove the icon, but we have a feature request to be able to customize the appearance of this macro. I would recommend you vote on it. This way, you'll receive any updates on that in the future: CONFCLOUD-65659 In the meantime, you might be able to use the Layouts feature. It won't allow you to add a single panel in the middle of the page, but you could add a side layout bar with your note, and then continue using a full-width layout below it.
  2. To the right of your tables in the new editor, there is a button with arrows on it, like this: <- -> You can click that to span full width, or centered. It's not possible to resize the table beyond this. We have a feature request for this. CONFCLOUD-43558 
  3. The text colors you are seeing is based on the Atlassian design guidelines for our products. See Atlassian Design Brand Guidelines > Color for details on that. Here is a feature request to be able to specify your own text colors: CONFCLOUD-67183
  4. It is not possible to align the page title. I have created a feature request for that here: CONFCLOUD-67602
  5. For the Code Macro, it's possible in your Confluence settings to go to ConfigurationConfigure Code Macro and choose one of the pre-selected themes based on several different languages. However, it's not possible to configure it beyond this. I have created a feature request for that here: CONFCLOUD-67603
  6. To insert images inline with the text, you can just add your image to a block of text, resize it, and click it again to get a menu of options to align your image to the left or right.
    Screenshot 2019-08-22 at 12.32.48.png
  7. To write in a monospaced font, you just need to add ` ` around your text. Can you let me know your concern about that feature? Is it that you can't choose your own font? If so, this is not possible, and your monospace selections will default to that set for the Cloud instance.
  8. To undo a change, you can type CMD + Z (Mac) or CTRL + Z (Windows). Redo is CMD + Y / CTRL + Y, or if that doesn't work, try Shift+⌘+Z (Mac). If this isn't what you were looking to do, please explain to me the problem and I can help find a solution.
  9. Spellcheck would be done by your browser. I would recommend having a look at the available add-ons for your browser and see if any will help you with spellcheck. I know that Grammarly is one that users like a lot, but I believe it has a few issues with Confluence, so please use that at your own risk.
  10. Smart quotes vs standard (straight) quotes: I am testing this in my editor, but it's not automatically changing them for me. It keeps them straight. Could you share with us an example of this happening, perhaps in a video screencap? 
  11. In the new editor, there is no search and replace feature built into Confluence. It has been removed as of the new editor. I believe some users are using the CMD+F / CTRL+F function which is built into the browser. So if your browser has a function like that, you can use it to replace just the text on that is on the page you are currently editing. There's also a 3rd party add-on here that provides that information: QRON Search and Replace

If you have any additional questions or feedback, I would recommend the following:

I hope that helps, but do let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Regards,

Shannon

Matt Comstock August 28, 2019

I'm blown away that you would remove the ability to search and replace text.  Its a basic feature that is needed.

Like Kim Landis likes this
Matt Comstock August 28, 2019

Plus your suggestion to use the 3rd party add-on is ridiculous. Why would I pay $5 per month additional for something that used to be in a product I am already paying for?  Can I go back to the previous version?

Like Kim Landis likes this
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 29, 2019

Hello Matt,

Thank you for following up!

The ability to search and replace text is still contained within the old editor, which you can do by selecting the magnifying glass icon in the top right-hand corner. This does not exist in the new editor, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's discontinued permanently.

I was able to find this feature request for you regarding that:

• CONFCLOUD-66370 Replace, from Find & Replace function, in the new editor

From the Confluence Cloud Roadmap:

We removed find as this function is also provided by all web browsers. Press Ctrl + F (Windows) or Cmd + F (Mac) to use find.

There is no workaround for replace. If this feature was valuable to you, please let us know. 

Please vote on the feature request to show your support. I recommended earlier that you can schedule a meeting with our Product Manager, and I think that might be a good idea for you to speak with him 1:1 and let him know your opinions with the new editor.

As for the 3rd party add-on; many developers and partners are creating really great add-ons that include additional functionality for Confluence. At times, the functionality provided within the add-ons can even go further than the existing functionality in Confluence. For example, with the find and replace, some of those add-ons allow you to globally replace text rather than just one page at a time, like the current feature.

It is not possible to roll back to the previous version, but I do hope that my reply helps to clarify things for you. Do let us know if you have any further concerns.

Regards,

Shannon

Alex Dopp February 19, 2020

The answer to question 6 is not an answer. The question is how to get images to appear INLINE with the text - not (and this is different) to wrap text around it.

For example in How To articles you often want to write something like

1. Naviagte to ...

2. Click on the button <button_image_here>

3. ...

If you try that in the new editor, then the image is always and every time placed in a new line below point 2. Anyone know how to get it inline, where it is supposed to be?

al-bryan.chu July 29, 2020

I was just editing a doc in Confluence and I can confirm that the single quotes are seemingly randomly being directionalized. It seems to 'happen' when a single quote pair is closed, i.e. the second single quote arrives, but not always. 

Please turn this off. It is super annoying and just messes sections with quotes up and I have to keep going back and re-enter it, hoping it doesn't get changed to a quote with direction!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events