Nested list with numbers and bullets without using wiki markup macro .

Tsol
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 10, 2012

Hi everybody,

I'm using Confluence 4.0. I'm trying to create a nested list like the one below:

1. This is
  2. an example
    • of a nested list
    • with bullets
  3. and numbers

I cannot create it with the autocomplete feature but only using the wiki mark up macro with the following statement:

# This is
# an example
#* of a nested list
#* with bullets
# and numbers

Is it possible to have the nested link by just using autocomplete or i have to use always the wiki markup macro?

3 answers

1 accepted

20 votes
Answer accepted
Septa Cahyadiputra
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 10, 2012

Hi Kostas,

Yes it is actually possible to do this trough the normal editor mode. Let me try to explain this

1. Create the numbering first
  2. In the second line, use "tab" button so that the cursor move inward
  3. Confluence would use numbering when you move the cursor inward
  4. Change it to "bullet point" by clicking the option

That should do it. I know its a bit confusing, let me know if you need any clarification. I will create a video for you :).

Cheers,
Septa Cahyadiputra

Tsol
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 10, 2012

Hi Septa,

all right it works.

At step 4 of your guides Ctrl+Shift+B also works.

Cheers,

Kostas

Septa Cahyadiputra
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 10, 2012

Hi Kostas,

Great to hear that :).

Cheers,

Septa Cahyadiputra

Mick Davidson June 21, 2012

I think I knew this, but forgot. :)

Thanks for the reminder, am adding this to our How-To list straight away!

Graham Hannington July 19, 2012

If you're using Firefox, the "Confluence rich text editor - show tags" user style might help you when editing nested lists, to show where each list and list item begins and ends (sometimes it's not so obvious).

OutOfTheBox November 15, 2013

This workaround can also be used to fix lists that have broken numbering. Select the bullets to be indented under a number, click 'Numbered List' button, hit 'Tab' key, and then click the 'Bullet List' button.

I have a feeling that I am going to be spending a lot of time pointing and clicking in this new editor. A lot of time.

Like Firieshta Deen likes this
Stefan Kopec October 21, 2019

Thank you so much. Was struggling cos' I didn't get it like this.

K.A. November 30, 2019

Is there a way to indent the bullets? I can't seem to do that. They're stuck.

4 votes
Daniel Everett May 27, 2020

Sorry, this does not help with the main problem.  Getting a bullet point list within a numbered list is easy, but getting the numbered list to continue with the correct numbering (rather than restarting at 1) after the nested bullets end is nigh on impossible.  This is trivial in markup languages.

Darius Hudson August 6, 2023

Make a list including items you want as bulleted or sub-level points - but all one list at the same level.  Select (highlight) the line items that you want as sub-level, then hit the <tab> key & those items/lines will be indented with sub-level numbers/letters.  If you then want those bulleted, select those lines again & hit the Bullet List (CTRL-SHIFT+8).  The lines afterward that were never selected should be re-numbered/re-lettered in order continuing from before your sub-level or bulleted portion.

0 votes
svetlana.lesyukova August 15, 2019

@Septa Cahyadiputra Thanks a lot for your answer! It helped me too! Thanks again!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events