Need help for setup: Access Rights

Dear all,

we have decided to switch our 10 user starter licence to 50 or more,

but before we can proceed I need to know how it would be possible to setup access rights.

what we want / our "Problem"

we have different people from different locations who will be working in the system.

those system might be combined in few spaces (like tutorials) but be restricted for others (like financial results etc.)

so the question is how to setup the users in groups so we don't need to create like 1000x of groups

detail example

in our office in thailand we would have abt 3 users,

"edit" / "view" / "admin"

those would be groups.

but we won't need those only for thailand but also for other locations,

where only the location itself should be able to view / edit their information.

meaning we would setup a user with following groups: location / role / 2nd role (etc)

is it possible to check if a user has both groups to access a space / page?

or do I need to setup groups like (thailand_sales_edit) (china_bookkeeping_view) etc... ?

also open for other idears.

thank you and best regards,

Matt

2 answers

1 accepted

You could set up an ldap system that uses nested groups. We have documentation describing this. I believe this to be the solution to your needs as nested groups inherit the permissions of their 'parent groups'.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Managing+Nested+Groups

Hope this helps!

Hi Matt,

I'm sorry to say that permissions checks don't cascade so permissions checks will only check against one group, but you don't necessarilly need to configure so many groups if you can have a bookkeeping group and have all the members from every office who need those permissions. However, you will probably find that grouping as you are describing helps with user management in the longer term, even if it does require more groups.

All the best,
John

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted 3 hours ago in Confluence

Calling all marketing teams who use Confluence - we want to hear from you!

Hi Community! me again 🙂 If you’re a marketing team using Confluence, we want to hear your story! How did you start using Confluence? What are your use cases? What have been some of the benefits?...

25 views 0 2
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you