Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving a User from Confluence-Administrators to Another Group

Chuck Minarik February 10, 2014

I want to move our tech writers out of the "confluence-administrators" group to their own group. This is because there is no way to prevent members of "confluence-administrators" from downloading add-ons.

However, when I do this, I need to replicate the Space Permissions that they assigned to the "confluence-administrators" group.

Can I do this with the following SQL?...

INSERT INTO [confluence].[dbo].[SPACEPERMISSIONS] 
SELECT  [PERMID]
       ,[SPACEID]
       ,[PERMTYPE]
       ,'tech-writers'
       ,[PERMUSERNAME]
       ,[CREATOR]
       ,[CREATIONDATE]
       ,[LASTMODIFIER]
       ,[LASTMODDATE]
   FROM [confluence].[dbo].[SPACEPERMISSIONS]
  WHERE [PERMGROUPNAME] = 'confluence-administrators'

...or do I need to manually recreate the Space Permissions they set up?

TIA...Chuck

1 answer

1 vote
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 10, 2014

Use the web interfce or the API to make a change like that ... bad idea to do it in SQL.

Chuck Minarik February 11, 2014

So, are you saying there's a way to do this in one fell swoop using the web interface, or through an API?

Or are you saying I have to do set up the permissions one-at-a-time?

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 11, 2014

There are API methods for dealing with groups, users, and permissions. The link is below. Another option would be to use Bob Swift's Conflunce CLI (command line interface) utility to automate the process. He has options for iterating through a csv and performing actions for each line of the csv ... it might make the process a little easier.

https://developer.atlassian.com/display/CONFDEV/Remote+Confluence+Methods#RemoteConfluenceMethods-Permissions.1

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events