• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Move confluence data to another server with newer Confluence version

Hello,

Please help to move all confluence data (including security groups, spaces, attachments ...) to another server with newer application version.

To: Confluence 7.4.6 server, centos 8, mysql

1 answer

0 votes

The best way to do this is to upgrade the 6.4 and then copy the resulting system on to the new server.  Or copy the current 6.4 system to the new server and upgrade it.

The second best way to do this is faster, but may not work - take a full backup of the 6.4 (the built-in xml backup) and import it into the new system.  It should try to upgrade the data during the restoration, but this is not always possible, and if it fails, it's because there's something in the data that 7.4 is unable to upgrade.

Appreciate your very quick response :)

I am afraid about full backup, because the data is ~35 gb (not sure is it a lot or not)..

And also one question this XML backup method, also backing up DB ?

Ok, let's rule out the xml for now.

To move Confluence on another server, let's look at the minimum viable backup.  You need a copy of the database somehow, and a copy of the attachments directory.  With just those two items, you can recreate a new copy by

• installing Confluence empty,
  • installing (but don't bother licencing or configuring) all the apps you had on the original system that you want to carry on using in the new one,
  • restoring the database into the target database
  • copying the attachments verbatim (I won't mention attachments again, they really are a simple flat copy of a pile of files on a disk)

The xml backup is one way to get a copy of the database.  A better way is, as you suspect, a backup of the database.  It's probably smaller and certainly faster than xml (The xml has one advantage in that it is database agnostic - you can use it to go from MS-SQL to Postgres if you wanted to)

Note that in there, I've not mentioned upgrading - the source and restored versions of Confluence need to be the same to do this safely.

In theory, you could get your new Confluence running on 7.4 with an empty database, shut it down, restore the 6.4 database and restart it - it will detect the difference in the data and it should try to upgrade that.  But if it fails, you will be left with a non-functional Confluence and an unusable database behind it!

What I would do is simply test the process before booking a change time.  If 7.4 happily upgrades the database when it first sees the older data, great.  If it fails, plan a separate upgrade step in the migration plan.

Very good. Am I understood you correctly, all my data (created docs), is saved on DB, and if I can successfully import the DB, I will have all my docs? (on this example I excluded attachments, installed apps, and specific configures)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Confluence

Announcing Team Calendars in Confluence Data Center

Hi Community! We're thrilled to share that Team Calendars for Confluence is now a built-in feature for Confluence Data Center releases 7.11 and beyond.  A long time favorite,  Team Cale...

125 views 0 3
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you