Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mothballing a confluence ondemand account

Sian Jones February 9, 2012

Background: we're a small school for kids with disabilities. We have a project coming up which means a lot of remote document work with people who can't get into the school. So I thought "let's chuck it in a wiki" and my other half suggested confluence. Had a quick nosey round, like the look of it, so far so good. We'd have to use ondemand, we are too small to host it ourselves.

The issue is we have a pre-project of about a month's frantic activity, at which point we will decide to go ahead, cancel or - 90% chance - to hold off for a year. After that year we need to pick up where we left off, probably in a hurry. We would be looking at the smallest possible hosted licence, but I can't justify spending even $100 a year just to keep the data in suspended animation on the Atlassian servers: our kids have better uses for $100.

So, the obvious plan is to take a month's trial, ask Atlassian to back it all up, cancel the account and then when the real project kicks off, start a new account and chuck the backup at it. But is that workable?

The product will have moved on in a year; will the backup be compatible? Could they restore it and upgrade it for us? Is there another import/export mechanism which would save less of the pretty bits but be enduringly compatible? Can I retrieve files from a backup if I don't have a downloaded version of confluence?

1 answer

0 votes
SimonS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 10, 2012

Hi Sian,

Glad to hear our products are being used for a good cause :)

Our support team should be able to work with you on this. If you take a backup of Confluence (request it on our support portal - support.atlassian.com) they should be able to re-import it in a year's time.

If the product is too far changed at that point, you can setup a local instance of that old Confluence version (it took me about an hour to do on my own machine) on a free evaluation license, import that backup, and upgrade to an importable version.

-Simon

Michael Knight
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 12, 2012

You actually don't need to contact Support for a Confluence backup. You can perform space export yourself.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events