Mothballing a confluence ondemand account

Background: we're a small school for kids with disabilities. We have a project coming up which means a lot of remote document work with people who can't get into the school. So I thought "let's chuck it in a wiki" and my other half suggested confluence. Had a quick nosey round, like the look of it, so far so good. We'd have to use ondemand, we are too small to host it ourselves.

The issue is we have a pre-project of about a month's frantic activity, at which point we will decide to go ahead, cancel or - 90% chance - to hold off for a year. After that year we need to pick up where we left off, probably in a hurry. We would be looking at the smallest possible hosted licence, but I can't justify spending even $100 a year just to keep the data in suspended animation on the Atlassian servers: our kids have better uses for $100.

So, the obvious plan is to take a month's trial, ask Atlassian to back it all up, cancel the account and then when the real project kicks off, start a new account and chuck the backup at it. But is that workable?

The product will have moved on in a year; will the backup be compatible? Could they restore it and upgrade it for us? Is there another import/export mechanism which would save less of the pretty bits but be enduringly compatible? Can I retrieve files from a backup if I don't have a downloaded version of confluence?

1 answer

This widget could not be displayed.

Hi Sian,

Glad to hear our products are being used for a good cause :)

Our support team should be able to work with you on this. If you take a backup of Confluence (request it on our support portal - support.atlassian.com) they should be able to re-import it in a year's time.

If the product is too far changed at that point, you can setup a local instance of that old Confluence version (it took me about an hour to do on my own machine) on a free evaluation license, import that backup, and upgrade to an importable version.

-Simon

You actually don't need to contact Support for a Confluence backup. You can perform space export yourself.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Sep 17, 2018 in Confluence

Why start from scratch? Introducing four new templates for Confluence Cloud

Hi my Community friends!  For those who don't know me, I'm a product marketer on the Confluence Cloud team - nice to meet you! For those of you who do, you know that I've been all up in your Co...

601 views 8 6
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you