Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Most users are not showing up under People Directory. Any ideas why?

Jon Anderson December 5, 2012

Confluence 3.5.13

A few weeks/months ago I had to rebuild the content indices from scratch to resolve another issue. Last week a user pointed out that when they go to Browse > People Directory they only see a handful of users (only 20 showing up out of the 1,000 + we have). I verified this and it appears only new users are showing up under People Directory and none of the existing users. I am not sure if the rebuild of indices is related and cannot determine at what point only new users started appearing. All users show up in admin > users, all users can still log in and post, etc.

Is this People Directory data stored in the /index folder? If so do you know what file it is stored in so I can copy the old one back over?

FYI - I did make a copy of the plugin directory and place it the new index folder.

3 answers

0 votes
Jon Anderson December 10, 2012

Harry,

Thanks for the info and sorry for the delay in the reply. I have tried this solution without success. I have flushed all Crowd caches, all LDAP caches and resynced the user directory (several times trying different flushes). I am going to bounce the servers and services Thursday night and try to manually resync the users. I will keep you posted.

Thanks,

Jon

0 votes
Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 6, 2012

Hi, can you try to go to Confluence Administration and clear the user cache? https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Cache+Statistics. It should be the Crowd caches. It could be a corrupted cache.

If you are using external LDAP etc also try to resync the users manually from the user directory.

0 votes
Daniel Borcherding
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 5, 2012

Jon,

The contents of the people directory is partially stored in the index folder. However, performing a reindex from scratch would be the operation that rebuilds that information.

I don't think that trying to copy back the directory from your old index is the correct course of action here.

You may be suffering from the following bug.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-6404

It states that users that have not logged in do not show up in the people directory. I would have a user that is not showing up in the people direcotry log in and see if they appear in Confluence.

Please let us know how that works

Jon Anderson December 6, 2012

Daniel,

Thanks for the help. I did see this article before I posted my question (should have mentioned that). For some reason only new users show up it isn't whether they have logged in or not. For example, I don't even show up but one strange thing is the admin account does (which is not a new account). I know of about 10 users that log on every day (Help Desk) to reset passwords and only one of them show.

After further research my statement about only new accounts showing up is wrong. New accounts do show up but a handful of older accounts show up to. Here is a random sampling of a few accounts.

Date Acct Created > Last Logon

10/11 > 11/13
10/11 > never
8/14 > 11/8
5/26 > 12/5

I thought maybe this was our problem:

For external user management LDAP/Jira Users do not show up in the people directory even after logging in. They show up only after editing their profile. Only then a Personal Info Object is created which is included in the index.

I have edited my profile and had a few others and they are not showing up.

Thanks,

Jon

Daniel Borcherding
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 12, 2012

Jon,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I was thinking you may want to try rebuilding the content inxed from scratch.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONFKB/Rebuild+the+Content+Indices+from+Scratch

If the problem is limited to new users your index may have been damaged somewhere along the way and current indexing tasks might be held up. If you remove and recreate the index you may be able to circumvent this possible corruption.

Please keep us up to date.

Jon Anderson December 13, 2012

I believe this problem started the last time we rebuilt the indices from scratch to fix a community bubbles issue. However, I don't think the problem was reported for several months (as most users don't use that function). I will have to get that approved and scheduled since it takes away the recently updated macros and sets them to nothing. It also clears out the dashboard. I will keep you posted.

Also, the help desk has reported new users added to LAM (our LDAP software used for the wiki) are no longer coming over to the wiki. They add the new user in LAM and the wiki for non-workers that do not have a employee ID. Maybe this is all related?

I am going to try a few fixes tonight, if I have no success I will look into the LAM/wiki issue and look into scheduling the rebuilding indices.

Jon Anderson December 13, 2012

Once again, thanks for the help! I was unable to get it to work after my fixes attempt and possibly it isn't an index problem? When I make our LDAP (OpenLDAP (Read/Write)) the first choice under user directories I cannot even create a user. However when I make Confluence Internal Directory the first choice the users I create will save and show up under browse > People Directory. I am now starting to think it is an LDAP problem and will research it further. Once again I will keep you all posted.

FYI: Here is the error I get when OpenLDAP is number one on user directories:

The following error(s) occurred:

Failed to create the user 'asdf'. Check your server logs for more information.

1. New LDAP users are not populating over to the wiki so our Help Desk creats a LDAP account and a wiki account.

2. The test under edit shows sucessful so I am unsure what the problem is...

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events