Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing the ability to edit Groups uder Confluence administration

Geoff Daly (Admin) September 20, 2020

I have recently moved from cloud to server 7.4.4 and there doesn't seem to be any ability to edit user groups.  I have full system-administrators permissions.  Under Security Configuration > External user management is off.

Any advice?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Geoff Daly (Admin) September 24, 2020

Damien at Atlassian has worked out a solution for me: 

As admin, go to: 

<confluence-url>/admin/darkfeatures.action

Scroll down to the Site Dark Features section to see if any dark features are currently enabled. We should only see 2 of these below that is related to Collaborative Editing:

• site-wide.shared-drafts
  • site-wide.synchrony

Click on the remove link next to it and remove all dark features aside from 2 listed above. This should bring the Confluence Server closer back to the vanilla state.  Restart and re-index.

Groups are back!  Thanks Damien.

Damien Tan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 27, 2020

No worries! I'll leave a little more information here in the case if anyone came across this thread in the future =)

this issue (missing user management screen) is lightly touched in the Cloud to Server migration documentation:

User management admin screens are missing 

It seems to be a fairly uncommon issue and the bug report it leads to mention that this particular dark feature is causing the missing of user management options:

unified.usermanagement

however, it is always worth checking the dark feature URL after a Cloud to Server site migration to see there is anything extra being carried over. In a vanilla Confluence Server 7.4 (fairly recent version as of this writing) we should only see 2 of the dark features that Geoff pointed out above that indicates the Collaborative Editing being turned on. any other dark features can be removed to restore the vanilla look of Confluence

0 votes
Jason Galea
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 21, 2020

Hi,

If you have set an internal directory, you shouldn't have a problem as long as you are a member of 'confluence-administrators'

If you are using an external directory (Microsoft AD for example), you might have read only permissions from Confluence and are unable to create those groups. 

Try creating those groups from the external directory and sync to confluence. 

It all depends on your current configuration.

Cheers,
Jason

Geoff Daly (Admin) September 21, 2020

Hi Jason, thanks for the response.  I'm not using an external directory.  I'm using the internal one only.  I'm in confluence-administrators.   The site, users and groups did come from a confluence cloud site which was using atlassian access.  I can go into each user (administer user) and add or subtract them on the list of existing groups, but nowhere can I find a way to add, delete or in any way manage the groups themselves.

under general configuration there is a section with:

USERS & SECURITY
SSO 2.0
Security Configuration
Global Permissions
Space Permissions
User Directories
Whitelist

But no groups.

Cheers.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE