Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Misconfigured site decorator file results in 500 error

Taahir Harnekar October 31, 2017

I'm running Confluence 6.4 and made a change to the space layout site decorator file as per https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/customizing-site-and-space-layouts-149374.html. I wasn't too careful as I thought I'd be able to reset the decorator if anything went wrong.

Unfortunately, something did go wrong and now I receive a 500 error when I try to visit the space, so I cannot get to the page to reset the layout. Is there any other way I can reset the decorator?

I'm pretty sure that the change that resulted in the error was that I removed " = $theme.hasSpaceSideBar() && $spaceKey" from the following line:
#set($useNewSpaceIA = $theme.hasSpaceSideBar() && $spaceKey)

Is there any way I can get my space back?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 31, 2017

Hi Taahir,

Can you try the resolution from 'java.lang.RuntimeException Error rendering template for decorator root' in a Page and see if you're able to reset it that way?

If not, can you check your Atlassian Confluence log file and let us know what error messages are being triggered when you see the 500 error?

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Taahir Harnekar October 31, 2017

Hi Shannon

I didn't try the resolution from 'java.lang.RuntimeException Error rendering template for decorator root' in a Page. However, after clicking your link, one of the related content links was to https://confluence.atlassian.com/confkb/custom-decorator-malfunctioning-223223923.html. I was able to use the resolution in bullet two on this page to access the space decorator and re-add the text that I had removed.

This fixed the issue and the space is back up and running.

Thank you so much, I really appreciate your swift support!

Kind regards
Taahir 

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 1, 2017

Super! Glad I was able to eventually get you in the right place to fix your issue. :) And thanks for sharing your resolution.

Take care, and have a pleasant rest of your week.

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events