Migration from AD groups to local groups

Karolina March 19, 2014

Hello
I have a confluence and jira connected to AD, with users and groups synchronization. Now I need to migrate to new AD with local groups.
My company want to use local groups because in new environment we want be to manage AD.

I have the same usernames in my new AD but I don’t have groups.
My users can login, but they don’t have any permissions.
Is it possible to move groups from old AD to act as local groups?
I can see old groups from old AD in my database.

Best regards
Karolina

2 answers

1 vote
Tiago Comasseto
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 19, 2014

You can migrate users and groups between LDAP directories as described here, but it would only work if your LDAP directory is of type internal with LDAP authentication.

Apart of this, I can only think of direct database modification, but I would consider this option only as last resource as it's risky and may cause problems.

Cheers

0 votes
Karolina March 19, 2014

Hey,

Thank you for quick answer.
The problem is a little bit different.

My users accounts are already recreated in new AD (they have the same username in both AD).
I just need to migrate groups with user assignment to them.

I can’t use this migration tool because I don’t have write access to new active directory. New AD is used by few company’s and there isn’t possibility that we will get write access

In documentation that you send me, it’s sad that this way of migration can’t be used only for group migration.

“Using the 'Migrate users from one directory to another' functionality

However, it cannot be used for any of the following scenarios:

• Migrating a specific set of users or one single user from one directory to another

• Connector User Directories — these can be easily identified, as they have a Synchronize option

• Migrating groups only

• Migrating users without their groups”

Is there any other solution then recreating groups manually?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events