Migrating content from Confluence 3x to Confluence 4x

I want to migrate content from an installation of Confluence 3.1.2 into an installation of Confluence 4.3. This seems like a pretty big jump but we'd like to avoid upgrading the 'old' confluence. My question is whether it is worth trying the 'changing the version of a space backup' or is that just doomed to fail?

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Changing+the+version+of+a+space+backup

2 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

That is doomed to fail. You can create a staging version of 3.1.2, do a space migration to the staging version, then upgrade the staging version to 4.3. Then if you have some other instance of 4.3 you can do a space migration to that.

I recently did this for 50-odd spaces... all automated, and worked fine.

This widget could not be displayed.

Hi Julie,

I personally don't suggest to try the changing the version approach, because that can lead us to problems.
I would suggest to create a test instance with your data from 3.1.2 and then do the upgrade following this path 3.4.9 > 3.5.17 > 4.3

* Creating a test environment and import the XML Backup (the way that I personally do).

1. # Go to your production site, and go to _Browse > Confluence Admin > Backup & Restore_ and mark just the attachments option.
  2. # Go to atlassian.com and download Confluence 3.1.2 ( I prefer to download the standalone version ).
  3. # Extract the zip/tar.gz file of the latest version of Confluence on the place you choose. ( I highly suggest that you create a folder call: Confluence 3.1.2, and inside of this folder extract the install folder, and inside of the Confluence 3.1.2 folder create a folder call: Home ).
  4. # Into the extracted folder, open the file confluence-init.properties, which is located at Confluence install directory\confluence\web-inf\classes and edit the line: confluence.home=/usr/local/confluence/home to point to the path where is your new home folder of your Confluence.
  5. # Now start Confluence.
  6. # Create a new database in your tool, e.g: MySQL, Postgres, MSSQL... I mean a clean one.
  7. # Once that Confluence is configured/running go to _Browse > Confluence Admin > Backup & Restore_ and choose that XML backup that you've generated in your production.
  8. # Now you'll have your clone up and running, with your data.

You don't have to worry about your database, with the full XML backup, Confluence will do the magic, I mean, populate the new database, make everything right. So, you don't need to do a clone of your database.

I hope this helps

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Monday in Confluence

Why start from scratch? Introducing four new templates for Confluence Cloud

Hi my Community friends!  For those who don't know me, I'm a product marketer on the Confluence Cloud team - nice to meet you! For those of you who do, you know that I've been all up in your Co...

430 views 4 6
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you