Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating Users

David Malka April 29, 2022

Hi all.  I shall try this question again, in case my response got missed. 

I am trying to migrate an on-prem 5.7 instance, to the Cloud.   As my instance was old, I first exported all of my spaces to zip files.  I then shut down that instance, and spun up an intermediate 6.15.10 instance on a laptop.   I imported the first (and largest) of my spaces onto that laptop, exported it again, and then imported it into the Cloud instance. 

This went well, but when I looked at the space on the Cloud, I could see that all of the pages were listed as having been edited by a user who had since been deleted.   And if I look at a page (for example, our pets' vaccination record), there is no 'edit' button anywhere that I can see.  

So I tried again.  I deleted the space from the laptop, and from the Cloud.  I then went to the laptop instance, and created two users (since that's all I need) with the same e-mail address, same password.  I then did the same on the Cloud instance.  Again, I took the zip file, imported it to the laptop, exported it from there, and re-imported it to the Cloud.

Same result.  I cannot edit any of the pages, and the users are listed as being 'deleted'.

Is there some way I can get all of my data, all of my users (well - 'both' of my users) from the old 5.7 instance, via the 6.15.10 instance, and onto the Cloud? 

Thank you. 

1 answer

1 vote
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 29, 2022

Hi @voyagesdedavid ,

my suggestion is to use Cloud Migration Assistant https://support.atlassian.com/migration/docs/use-the-confluence-cloud-migration-assistant-to-migrate/ 

When to use the Confluence Cloud Migration Assistant

Use the Confluence Cloud Migration Assistant when:

• you want to move users or data from Confluence Server or Data Center to Confluence Cloud

• you want to assess your apps before moving from Confluence Server or Data Center to Confluence Cloud

• you want to run a test or trial migration from Confluence Server or Data Center to Confluence Cloud

• the Atlassian Support team has recommended using the app

Hope this helps,

Fabio

Thank you.  What does one do when one's original instance is < 5.10, however?

Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 29, 2022

My suggestion is to ugrade your server instance first to a new version.

Is it possible to go from Confluence 5.7 to Confluence 6.x without significant changes to the backend DB (which is currently MySQL 5.7)?  

Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 29, 2022

Based on the following doc https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/upgrading-confluence-4578.html , you could upgrade directly form 5.0 to 7.0. It means that you can upgrade from 5.0 to any 6.x versions.

Interesting.  I was under the impression that from 5.x to 7 was not possible, because the higher versions do not use the same database backend.  I will power up my old instance and do this now.  

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events