Migrating JIRA/Confluence apps.

software_compliance August 19, 2020

Having moved JIRA and Confluence together from previous location to a new server, JIRA logs in ok but Confluence does not. Error seen in conf logs: "authenticateUser Directory 'JIRA Server' is not functional during authentication of 'dbarter'. Skipped."

some more error trace and then:

" Caused by: org.apache.http.conn.ConnectTimeoutException: Connect to <old server ip address>:8080 [/10.170.50.26] failed: connect timed out"

Have I missed updating something in JIRA with the old server details? JIRA governs logins for Confluence. I have updated Application Links, base url and userserver in JIRA to refer to new server location.

Any help much appreciated.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 19, 2020

The user directory settings are totally separate from the application links in each application.

In your Jira, you've done the right thing and updated the user server, but you do not mention telling Confluence that the user server (user directory) it is using has moved.

As an admin, go to admin -> user directories, find the Jira user server entry and edit it - you should find it points to the old server, which you can overwrite with the new one.

software_compliance August 19, 2020

Thanks Nic, when I go to User Directories under User Management there are 2 entries: Delegated LDAP Authority which is not editable and JIRA internal directory which is editable but comes up with a screen for Directory Settings with the only option to "save and test" or "cancel". Have I missed something? The JIRA user server under User Management has the correct IP address in it and also "::1" and "127.0.0.1".

Dave

software_compliance September 1, 2020

Hi Nic, We tried again with this migration and bumped up against the same issue. I have since seen a recommendation to edit a Confluence database entry for crowd directory and although I didn't check during the migration attempt it would appear that this could be the key. What do you think?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 1, 2020

You should go to the internal directory and make sure there is an account you can log into that has full system admin rights.

If you log in with that user instead of your account from LDAP, you will find it can now edit the LDAP connection - this happens because Confluence does not let you edit the settings for the directory you are logged in by.

Thanks again Nic. Yes we had an admin account that isn't used and after resetting the password I can edit the JIRA directory settings from within Confluence. If I just update the server address will it keep the account and password that are also on the screen? Not sure I know what the password is/should be so it would be better to leave that as it is.

I may have answered my own question as it appears in plain text in the cwd_directory_attribute in attribute application.password. If so then that's brilliant and mission accomplished. Gold stars from me.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events