Migrating Confluence off of Jira's server, what is the best way to go about this?

Hey everyone, so we're in the process of planning to move our Confluence installation off of our JIRA server, and we were wondering the best way to go about this. I've seen atlassian's documentation on this issue, but I didn't feel the documentation was especially clear or helpful, and seemed to have some errors even.

Basically what we want to do is just move the Confluence installation onto another server, have it point to the same database, and use Jira's user database, just as it does already, with all of the same data and spaces.

Now Atlassian recommends doing stuff like copying installation directories and data directories over, but what I'm wondering is why not just have a fresh install on a new server and then import the backup file into confluence using the built in restore function? Wouldn't that be much easier? Any help we can have on this would be much appreciated. Thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes

It might be easier, it might not.

Simple fact is you can pick up an entire installation and put it on another server.  Stop it all, copy the home and installation directories to the new server (identical paths, although changing them later is quite easy), and start it on the new server.  As long as your network routes to the databases behind JIRA and Confluence are open to the new server, you are fine.

Or create a new installation and point it at the old database and re-index it after starting.  Or do the export/import thing.

The difficulty here is we don't know how complex your installation of Confluence is, which could determine the best path for you.  (I'm really not sure that Atlassian's docs are unclear, unhelpful or erroneous on this - I've given them to loads of people who have successfully used them to move servers around, so you might want to explain what you think is wrong with them)

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Thursday in Confluence

Three common content challenges + how to manage them

An efficient enterprise content management system, or ECM, is a must-have for companies that create work online (cough   cough, all companies). If content calendars, marketing plans, and bu...

86 views 0 6
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you