Migrate Confluence to other domain

Hi all,

We want to migrate Confluence to other domain. We are already have a new domain with the same set of users. All users will use new accounts from the new domain.

Can we reassign users with the same names from one domain to other in Counfluence?

Thank you!

1 answer

This widget could not be displayed.

Is it just migrating the existing Confluence to a new server? Or is it moving certain spaces and users to another instance?

Hi Jobin, We have Counfluence on dedicated VM. We plan to move this VM to other location and add it to other domain. Users will not be migrated, there will be new accounts for all users in new domain. Is it possible to reassign or link old user accounts to new accounts in new domain inside Confluence?

Are the user names different? Are they all in the internal user directory?

Yes, user names are same, and yes, local AD domain.

If the usernames are the same and is in AD, why do you say the users will not be migrated. When you move a Confluence instance to the new server, it copies over all the settings including the AD connection details. If the new server cannot reach the old AD, I would suggest moving the users from AD to internal directory first and then move the instance.

Old AD domain will be retired and users will use new accounts from the new AD domain. I mean that user accounts will not be migrated from old AD domain to the new one. Did you mean that I can convert AD users to local users in Confluence? I found the following article for JIRA, will it work for Confluence? https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/migrating-users-between-user-directories-426116517.html

That won't work for Confluence. You will have to write some SQL scripts to do the job in DB. Something similar to this: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/298928/migrate-users-to-new-user-directory-confluence-5.4.4

Thank you, Jobin, Will try to do it on test site first.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Monday in Confluence

Why start from scratch? Introducing four new templates for Confluence Cloud

Hi my Community friends!  For those who don't know me, I'm a product marketer on the Confluence Cloud team - nice to meet you! For those of you who do, you know that I've been all up in your Co...

368 views 2 5
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you