Migrate Confluence from W*ndows to Linux

Hello!

We are running Confluence on a crowded Single Processor VMWare server and want to move to multi processor Linux. How do we best do that?

Can we establish a Confluence cluster between both, soft migrate layout and content, and then remove and terminate the W*ndows server?

3 answers

1 accepted

I'd suggest the best way to migrate would be to do a full migrate. Plan an outage - schedule a downtime and move a backup from the Windows server across to the Linux server.

Have the Linux server setup ready to go with all the configurations, customizations and whatever. Get a backup from the Windows server and test it for any issues. Once happy with it do the migration and terminate the Windows server.

Confluence cluster edition isn't designed for High Availability and I wouldn't suggest this for a migration.

Hi Bernd,

Harry's suggestion is good. In addition, please refer to our https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Migrating+Confluence+Between+Servers doc for detailed instructions.

Cheers,

WZ

All went well, but I had to migrate space after space instead of complete backup/restore. That would have broken my installation...

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Jul 10, 2018 in Confluence

We want to see the templates you've created in Confluence!

Hi Community, Jessica here from the Confluence Product Marketing team!  July’s community challenge is all about sharing pictures  — and as an extension of our first post on what ...

635 views 21 11
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you