Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Means of visualising links between pages?

Daniel Verberne June 21, 2021

Hello,

I'm documenting a particular application in Confluence that involves significant dependencies between different concepts.  I'll have a page that contains a hyperlink to several pages it depends upon.

Is there a way I can see how these linkages or references between pages exist?  

I'm sorry this sounds vague.  I guess if I was using database-speak, I'd be recording rows of data and for some rows, there would be the same value in the 'foreign key' indicating a relationship and I'm then wanting to visualise those relationships via the equivalent of an 'Entity Relationship Diagram'.

3 answers

0 votes
Samie Kaufman - Your Gal at Gliffy
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 22, 2021

Hi Daniel!

Gliffy or another diagramming app couldn't automatically do this for you, but if the purpose is to make navigating between these pages easier, could you make a visual site map (or even in ERD, if you'd like) with links to the pages, them embed that on each page?

If that sounds like what you're looking for, I can provide more detailed instructions to get you started — just not sure it's the perfect solution for you!

Samie

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 22, 2021

Confluence doesn't really have anything that maps arbitrary links embedded in content.

Uses of the Confluence links, url links, even Jira macros (and other macros that link to other systems) tend to be embedded rather than mapped.

There are some macros that do some navigational help - an obvious one would be the "related content" macro.  It doesn't look at the links, but at labels instead.  Or, if you do your "dependent pages" as child pages of the current page, the obvious choice is a "child page" macro.  And so-on.

0 votes
Ajay _view26_
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 21, 2021

Hi @Daniel Verberne 

Welcome to the Community!

To link sections within the page or between pages you can make use of the Macros Here is a writeup on how to proceed with the different usecases

https://support.atlassian.com/confluence-cloud/docs/insert-links-and-anchors/

Cheers

Ajay

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events