May I remove "Use Confluence" permissions from the default "confluence-users" list?

Sebastien Etorre January 9, 2018

Hi,

we are going to have both Employees and third party Clients having access to Spaces in our Confluence.

We want to be 100% certain a Client may not mistakenly access to Employee only Spaces. i.e. Each user should be explicitly flagged as "Employee" or "External", and the default "confluence-users" list should have no permissions whatsoever.

When I go to "Edit Global Permissions", most checkboxes are greyed out, including the "Use Confluence" one. I am an Admin though.

Thanks for your help !

Sebastien

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 9, 2018

You can remove it, but you must replace it with groups covering everyone who needs to be able to log in (i.e Employee and External)

As a system admin, you should be able to do this.  You will need to add the replacement groups to the permission before removing the confluence-users from it.

Sebastien Etorre January 9, 2018

Hi Nic,

thanks for the lightning fast response !

The thing is, my Edit Global Permissions seems to be a pretty "closed" screen. I can't add lists at the Global level, can only change some of the permissions... but I am in edit mode, so I do have the full permission required? I'm indeed part of the "site-admins" group.

I'm missing a point here... :-(

Thanks for your help,

Sebastien

2018-01-09 13_29_08-Edit Global Permissions - Labelium.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 9, 2018

Ah, "site admin" implies Cloud, where you don't have the right to change some global permissions.

I don't think you can change this on Cloud, so the closest you can get is to remove "confluence user" from all space permissions and use your other groups separately

Sebastien Etorre January 11, 2018

Many thanks Nic, just saved me hours of fighting the platform. Not the first time I get caught in Cloud vs Server discrepancies. Sometimes documentation is ambiguous (and sometimes I’m just lousy at this).

I’ll (painfully) manage at the Space level.

Have a nice day.

Sebastien 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events