Managing 'forgot your password' for confluence integrated with crowd

Bryan Karsh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 3, 2012
Hi, I have confluence 3.3 integrated with crowd 2.04 - we have multiple external users accessIng the site. A common request I get is whether I can implement a "forgot your password" link. I understand from the documentation that since confluence is being externally managed, that it can't modify passwords - which is why the 'forgot your password' is disabled. But I wanted to know if there were any tricks I could employ. For example, maybe a hardcoded link to crowd's 'Forgot your password' page? I know I can turn off external management, but that would sever crowd completely right? I also have Jira managed by crowd, so I need confluence to be able to talk with Jira. Any tips appreciated !

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Septa Cahyadiputra
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 3, 2012

Hi Bryan,

As Confluence 3.3 does not have the necessary permission to write into Crowd, I do not think you will get much option other than changing the link to Crowd's "Forgot your Password" page.

If you change the link to point to Crowd's "Forgot your Password" page, then your user will be redirected to Crowd and shoudl be able to change their password there. However as Crowd synchronization done every hour (default) I'm not usre if the changes would be reflected instantly on Confluence or not.

Turning off "external management" won't turn off the integration completely, however it is not recommend.

Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Septa Cahyadiputra

Septa Cahyadiputra
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 3, 2012

Just to add here are some links that may be reveal when you unticked "external user management" option

• Edit groups (Administrator)
  • Remove (Adminsitrator
  • Fullname could be modify (might leads to error when user try to modify this)
  • Email could be modify (might leads to error when user try to modify this)

Cheers,
Septa Cahyadiputra

0 votes
Stephen Gilson September 5, 2012

On a related note, when a user resets their password when Crowd is controlling access to Confluence, they get an email asking them to reset it. The email contains the URL of the Crowd reset password page. After resetting it, they hit "Update" on the form and are asked to login to Crowd. I want my users to be redirected to login to Confluence. How do I do that?

Septa Cahyadiputra
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 6, 2012

Hi Stephen,

You could try to use application.login.url on Crowd crowd.properties and see if its what you are after. Please review this documentation for the detail.

Cheers,
Septa Cahyadiputra

Stephen Gilson September 6, 2012

We have multiple applications that all use Crowd for single sign on. Being able to set one URL won't work. What is needed is a way for Crowd to know which app the user is accessing, and redeirect them to the appropriate log in page.

0 votes
Bryan Karsh
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 3, 2012

Thanks for the answer. Okay -- here is another question. When you say that turning off "external management" wont' turn off integration completely -- what does that mean? Can you explain what functionality is retained? For example, if a person updated their permission in confluence -- would it update in crowd?

Bryan Karsh
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 3, 2012

Thanks -- is it possible to add confluence as a trusted application to crowd -- or is the permission issue something that can't be worked around?

Septa Cahyadiputra
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 3, 2012

I don't think it is something that can be workaround. You could try to upgrade to at least release version 3.5 where this permission could be configured.

Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Septa Cahyadiputra

Septa Cahyadiputra
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 3, 2012

Any changes won't reflect in Crowd as Confluence does not have the necessary permission to write into Crowd. Might leads to an ERROR when user want to try it trough Confluence.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events