Managing Review Comments

Hey All,

Still new to authoring in Confluence... The main reason we went to Confluence is because our engineers had a major pain point in providing review comments using Adobe Acrobat Review Server. Their hope is that they can modify small details directly in the source, AND provide comments on pages. (Don't tell me it's a terrible idea, because I lost that battle.)

So, now each page in a doc has a growing list of comments. Tracking this activity, even on a small document, is so flawed! I have no way of marking a comment done, filtering only unresolved comments, seeing a history of added and deleted comments, etc. So, what is already happening is that I'm missing newly added comments/replies to threads. So, I started deleting comments once I incorporated them until I needed to go back and see the comment again and had no way to restore it. 

I'm so frustrated. There is no way this is going to work on bigger docs. WAY too error prone...

Does anyone know if there's an add-on? Or a different way to get/track feedback on the actual Confluence page (not a PDF output, since they don't want to review that way). HELP???

TIA!

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Accepted answer

Firstly it is a brilliant idea!!  (sorry you lost the battle again smile )

Our industry association Working Groups uses Confluence for drafting reference documents for ultimately publishing to the industry.

Each Chapter of the document is drafted directly on screen.

There are two commenting methods now (depending on your version  - we have v5.8.16)

Page Comments are added at the bottom of the page in "threads", but as you have noticed there is no way to mark them as "resolved"

But the new "In-line Comment" facility allows you to highlight some text in normal View mode and a pop up box appears e.g.

image2017-2-4 9:48:57.png

That then gives a comment box that also has an option to mark it as Resolved

image2017-2-4 9:50:3.png

This is such great news! We are updating to 6 right now! SO HAPPY to see that this will get easier..... THANK YOU

Just for information. There is the add-on called Talk. It has many features and in some cases can be even better than Confluence inline comments (it allows you to insert inline comments too). You can also try it without installing to your instance, the team created a demo server for this purpose.

We use Confluence for collaborative review comments between ourselves and the customer. Inline comments work well, with footer comments being used for things like saying "I've reviewed this page, back to you for updates". One thing that was difficult is tracking all the comments collectively, so we wrote a PHP macro that walks the pages below a starting page, fetches all the comments, and then builds a single review comments page below the same parent with all the comments from all child pages on it. That helps because you can't see the actual comment when you go to edit the page to resolve it (a major flaw IMHO).

Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 09.09.39.png

Hello Adrian,

we are looking for a similar comments tracking solution. Would you be able to share/sell such script? Does it also work for comments under the page?

Thanks for letting me know.

Hi,

This is a good approach. But sometimes authors use a different tool to author content. 

Can we have a plugin from the authoring tool to launch confluence. 

Thanks,

Nuz

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Oct 24, 2018 in Confluence

Atlassian Research opportunity with Confluence templates

Do you use templates with Confluence? Take part in a remote 1-hr workshop. You'll receive USD $100 for your time!   We're looking for people to participate in a   remote 1-hr workshop...

1,099 views 17 14
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you