cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make center column variable width in Zen foundaton

Jonathan Simonoff
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 26, 2014

When not using the full page width option, the colums on a Zen Foundation page are all fixed width, and I can't find a setting in the brand designer that changes that. The effect is that when the user makes the page wider, the content stays the same.

What I'd like is to have the center (main) page panel always behave as it does wih the full width option -- it fills up the available space (width apparently set to 100%).

FWIW, I've tried (using the Chrome developer tools) explicitly setting "width:100%" on the center column, and it doesn't do what I'd expect -- the width of the column is still fixed, though a bit wider than the default.

I've also tried removing the side panels from the master page. In that case, the center (now only) column is still fixed-width.

Finally, I tried setting width to 100% explicitly on the main zen section on one of the pages. Again, the setting seems to be mostly ignored -- the section is still fixed-width.

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Kelli Hoyt
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 27, 2014

Aha! I got it now. Thanks for clarification.

Although Zen does have the option as a user-setting in the toolbar to view the site in full-width (albeit that left column is still stretchy-width, not fixed as you'd like), the product was not built with the option for a "stretchy"-designed theme. (This may not be of help, but note that there is also the "expando" button in the toolbar, which expands the main column to full width, and there are a couple of macros you can use that invoke the same thing - one upon click, and the other as a permanent setting for the page.)

We are really happy to share, though, that you can build a theme that is close to what you are describing above in our "next generation of Zen" new product, Theme Press (currently in beta, but 1.0 release is imminent.)

Currently, the product would allow what you are asking, except that that left column is currently only available as also stretchy. We are looking at options, however, to offer a fixed-left-column within overall stretchy layout in a future release.

Cheers,

Kelli

Jonathan Simonoff
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 27, 2014

Thanks, Kelli. Theme Press does look like it might be the right thing for us.

Kelli Hoyt
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 10, 2014

Hi Jonathan,

In case you were still working with/looking at Zen, I neglected to mention the following workaround which may or may not be helpful:

Insert the full-width macro in the Header of any space where you'd like the full-width view. If you want full-width across all spaces, make sure they are all using the same header with that macro inserted (look in your Zen space settings for this), or, just make sure that macro is inserted in any header used by your spaces.

cheers,
Kelli

Jonathan Simonoff
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 11, 2014

Thanks Kelli. We may end up doing that, although I'm not sure. I don't like the price of giving up the page tree. (We're on 5.1 now, so no page tree in the default sidebar. It may be we're going to upgrade, and I could use that sidebar with a page tree instead of the Zen one).

0 votes
Kelli Hoyt
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 27, 2014

Oh great - and sorry I didn't provide the link for you! http://www.brikit.com/display/themepress/Brikit+Theme+Press

Glad you were able to find it, though!

cheers,

Kelli

0 votes
Jonathan Simonoff
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 27, 2014

Hi, Kelli,

What I want, ideally, is the stretchy/full-window-width behavior in user mode with side columns showing. Thanks!

Jonathan

0 votes
Kelli Hoyt
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 26, 2014

Hi Jonathan,

When you say, "when the user makes the page wider" can you tell me more about that? Do you mean the designer using the Brand Designer? Or just a user who is working on a page branded with your theme?

In other words, are you looking for a theme that:

• uses stretchy/full-window width on only some pages?

or

• is always stretchy/full-window-width?

Thanks!

- Kelli

0 votes
Kelli Hoyt
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 26, 2014

Hi Jonathan,

When you say, "when the user makes the page wider" can you tell me more about that? Do you mean the designer using the Brand Designer? Or just a user who is working on a page branded with your theme?

In other words, are you looking for a theme that:

• uses stretchy/full-window width on only some pages?

or

• is always stretchy/full-window-width?

Thanks!

- Kelli

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events