Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mail notification in Confluence 4.3.6 will not show page content

Lars Bjerges March 21, 2013

In previous versions of Confluence (pre 4.x) when watching a page with mail notification you would get the page content included in the mail.

Not anymore I m sad to say. The documentation, to my knowledge, does not mention this and I rasied an issue with Confluence Support regarding this (CSP-98280).

Has anybody seen this change in behaviour and/or does anybody have a solution to be able to have the old behaviour back?

Regards Lars

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
AndrewA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 23, 2013

For the original fucntionality, the following request was brought up with development and subsequently denied.

Bring back option to show full context in notification emails

However, there is a work around where we can alter the veloccity template to bring the fucntionality back to a certain extent. If we expand the <conlfuence install direcotry>/confluence/WEB-INF/lib/confluence-X.X.X.jar file we can then edit the templates/email/html/page-edited-notification.vm file so that the default watch functionality includes the entire page. To do so, change the showdiffs block from this...(may change depending on version)

#if ($showDiffs)
        &lt;div class="email-diff"&gt;
        #if ($diffHtml)
             #parse ("/template/includes/page-diffs.vm")
        #else
            &lt;p class="aui-message error"&gt;
                $i18n.getText('diff.pages.error.diffing')
            &lt;/p&gt;
        #end
        &lt;/div&gt;
    #end

To this ...

#if ($showDiffs)
        &lt;div class="email-diff"&gt;
        #if ($diffHtml)
             #parse ("/template/includes/page-diffs.vm")
        #else
            &lt;p class="aui-message error"&gt;
                $i18n.getText('diff.pages.error.diffing')
            &lt;/p&gt;
        #end
        &lt;/div&gt;
	 #else
	&lt;div class="email-page"&gt;
        	$viewRenderer.render($content.bodyAsString, $conversionContext)
    	&lt;/div&gt;
    #end

This is of course a customization and would need to be updated when Confluence is upgraded. Once the change is mad, re-make the jar with the altered velocity file and restart Confluence to see the affects. I hope this helps provide a viable option for you.

Cheers,
Andrew Campbell

0 votes
Joe Clark
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 22, 2013

Hi Lars,

Newer versions of Confluence should still contain a partial inclusion of the relevant page content in the notification mail. Are you seeing any page content in the mail at all?

If the page is particularly long, the email may prevent the full content of the page from displaying, but you should still see a snippet of the content.

Lars Bjerges March 22, 2013

Unfortunately I don t get any content att all except when I request changes in which case I get the actual comparison output.

The only thing I get is a set of links that can take me e.g. to the actual page. This however is not "good enough" since I have to be logged on to our network to get at the server which I am not if I recieve the mail e.g. on a smart phone.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events