MS SQL service crashed with error on "max worker threads". Edited

We've MSSQL database serving JIRA and Confluence. SQL runs on Windows server 2008 R2 standard in a VM that has 2 vCPUs (vmware). We see that it crashed with below error; restarting the VM did the trick. After investigating, it was recommended to set an optimum value for "max worker threads". Currently it is set to 512.

1) Does lowering this value has any impact?

2) Does Atlassian has any recommendations for 'max worker threads" configuration on MS SQL?

3) And, what are the things I should keep in mind while configuring this value?

Error Log output:

2017-05-02 19:55:49.89 Server New queries assigned to process on Node 0 have not been picked up by a worker thread in the last 60 seconds. Blocking or long-running queries can contribute to this condition, and may degrade client response time. Use the "max worker threads" configuration option to increase number of allowable threads, or optimize current running queries. SQL Process Utilization: 0%. System Idle: 0%.
2017-05-02 19:56:50.13 Server New queries assigned to process on Node 0 have not been picked up by a worker thread in the last 120 seconds. Blocking or long-running queries can contribute to this condition, and may degrade client response time. Use the "max worker threads" configuration option to increase number of allowable threads, or optimize current running queries. SQL Process Utilization: 0%. System Idle: 0%.
2017-05-02 19:57:50.32 Server New queries assigned to process on Node 0 have not been picked up by a worker thread in the last 180 seconds. Blocking or long-running queries can contribute to this condition, and may degrade client response time. Use the "max worker threads" configuration option to increase number of allowable threads, or optimize current running queries. SQL Process Utilization: 0%. System Idle: 0%. 

1 answer

This widget could not be displayed.
Ann Worley Atlassian Team May 03, 2017

Our Database Setup for SQL Server doesn't make any recommendation for max worker threads, but this article has a lot of information on the subject: Configure the max worker threads Server Configuration Option.

It may be worthwhile to open a ticket on https://getsupport.atlassian.com/ so a support engineer can check whether the logs indicate issues connecting to the database.

thanks for the response, Ann. I'll read through your link.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Monday in Confluence

Why start from scratch? Introducing four new templates for Confluence Cloud

Hi my Community friends!  For those who don't know me, I'm a product marketer on the Confluence Cloud team - nice to meet you! For those of you who do, you know that I've been all up in your Co...

436 views 4 6
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you