Losing document structure when importing Word document into multiple pages

John Alton May 13, 2013

I'm importing a 70-some page Word (.docx) file into Confluence (v4.1). Goal is to import the information, create new pages based on headings. That works.

Also need to maintain the organizational hierarchy / structure. That fails.

What happens: The import preview shows the correct hierarchical content structure. However, after the file is imported, the pages created are reorganized alphabetically.

We then need to drag-n-drop all pages created (~70) to restore the content hierarchical structure. Major pain.

Am I missing a configurable preference during import? Or is this a known issue?

Anyone have information to share?

P.S. Please don't advise using the Office Word Doc macro — we're trying to move our intranet to wiki-friendly formats, where all the right users can easily view and edit content in native wiki page format.

Thanks!

John

6 answers

1 vote
Nils Bier _K15t_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 14, 2014

Hi everybody,

the issue is reported here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/OFFCONN-53

As a workaround you could try the following:

1. Create a new space
2. Create a new page (“Parent”) with two child pages (“Child1" and “Child2")
3. Click “Pages” to view all pages in the space.
4. On the Pages view click “Browse and reorder all pages” (in the top right corner of the screen)
5. Drag and drop “Child2” before “Child2” (that deactivates the alphabetical order.
6. IMPORTANT: Click the “Parent” page and on this page click Tools > Import Word document
7. Select your file and activate the option “Replace Parent”.
8. Import the Word file
9. Delete the pages from step 2.

As the alphabetically sort mechanism is deactivated due to step 5, the pages should be sorted correctly.

Cheers,
Nils

Steffen Heller
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 20, 2014

Hi Nils,

I just found out what you added at https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/OFFCONN-53
-> it only works for heading levels 1

What a pity!
This workaround is so cool! It would have deserved to be completely perfect ;-(

Nils Bier _K15t_
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 20, 2014

Hi Steffen,

jap that unfortunately only works for heading level 1..
It's always hard to find perfect workarounds ;-)

Cheers,
Nils

0 votes
Scott Ortel August 8, 2014

I'm having the same problem. Did anyone enter an enhancement request?

0 votes
Steffen Heller
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 5, 2014

I am having the same problem and no solution.

Karena Bailey May 7, 2014

I am having the issue of importing training documents with step-by-step numbering and having the numbering transformed into all 1's once imported into Confluence. Still looking for a solution!

Scott Ortel August 8, 2014

I'm having the same problem. Did anyone enter an enhancement request?

0 votes
John Alton February 5, 2014
Should I submit this as a tech support question or enhancement request?
Steffen Heller
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 5, 2014

I think that should fall under support. It would be weird to call it an enhancement to not destroy the document structure.

0 votes
John Alton February 5, 2014
Should I submit this as a tech support question or enhancement request?
0 votes
RakefetZ January 20, 2014

Is there a solution to this issue?

John Alton January 27, 2014

I haven't seen one here.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events