Looking for direction on adding a feature to confluence

David Legatt June 26, 2017

We are looking to use Confluence for our internal knowledgebase. One feature that I've been asked to research is the ability to associate a knowledgebase article with a helpdesk ticket id.  

For example, a helpdesk associate would take a new call, search the knowledgebase, find an article, utilize it to resolve the call, and then in a small form on the article page, enter the ticket ID.  

I've been looking through the documentation, but I'm not sure of where to start, if this would be a macro, a plugin, something I could do with a gadget, or if there is something else in the marketplace that could help.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
David Legatt July 3, 2017

I found the Metadata add-on in the marketplace, I think it should fit most of what I need.

0 votes
Susan Ostreicher
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 27, 2017

Hi David,

This might be too simplistic, but if your goal is to associate a Confluence page with a ticket, could you just add a label to that page with the ticket ID? 

David Legatt June 27, 2017

I had considered that, and that may be a solution we go with. I was hoping for some kind of communication with my API or database that would allow me to validate and report on tickets & articles

0 votes
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 26, 2017

What ticketing system do you use? If you use JIRA by chance there is a macro in Confluence specifically for this.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 26, 2017

Indeed, JIRA Service Desk does it the other way around. 

You have the option to "create knowledgebase article from this JSD request", which creates a Confluence page linked back to the source request.

JSD also has the search option.  As the customer or agent starts to enter the request, it will start to suggest articles.  The idea here is actually to stop the request being raised, by giving the user the information they need, but if they continue, it will allow the Agent to respond with KB articles directly as well.  It does not tag the page with the request ID, but I suspect that's a minor automation that could be done quite easily.

David Legatt June 27, 2017

It's not JIRA, its ECi LaCrosse

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events