Login with either userPrincipalName or sAMAccountName?

Hi guys,

this question has been asked already some time ago (https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/5639/ldap-login-with-username-either-userprincipalname-or-samaccountname), but the given solution does not seem to work properly, because it will double the amount of Confluence users for us.

So, let me raise this question again: is there any way, for Confluence 5.1, to have users login with either the userPrincipalName (user.name@domain.tld) or the sAMAccountname (user.name)?

Thanks in advance!

3 answers

1 accepted

0 vote
Davin Studer Community Champion Oct 18, 2013

I don't think so ... not without writing your own auth plugin.

that very bad. because samaccountname is obsolete and only used for pre-windows 2000

Davin Studer Community Champion Jul 15, 2014

sAMAccountName is not obsolete. It is still supported and to my knowledge is going to be supportted for the forseeable future.

the sAMAccountName is only for compatiblity in an active directory for pre windows and old login style DOMAIN\USERNAME. the samaaccount has some limits (e.g 20 chars). we want have one login for all and not here you must use the old login name and here use the UPN.

but i have found that conflunce support UPN! so my problem is solved :D

Davin Studer Community Champion Jul 15, 2014

It was the means of auth pre-Windows 2000, but it has not been deprecated or rendered obsolete. It is still fully supported and will continue to be supported. They have since added more functionality with UPN, but sAMAccountNam is not going t be removed and is still a valid auth method for all current versions of Windows.

Yes, you certainly can use UPN for Confluence. It's just a matter of saying which filed you want to use in the user directory setup. I think the original question though was wondering about use both for login purposes not either or.

Do you have any solution for this problem?

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Kesha Thillainayagam
Posted Apr 13, 2018 in Confluence

We want to hear how your non-technical teams are using Confluence!

Hi Community! Kesha (kay-sha) from the Confluence marketing team here! Can you share stories with us on how your non-technical (think Marketing, Sales, HR, legal, etc.) teams are using Confluen...

357 views 20 10
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you