Link previews in Slack and MS Teams for Confluence pages?

John Price
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 1, 2021

When I paste links from our company Confluence Data Center site (uses SSO) into Microsoft Teams or Slack, there's no nice link preview ("unfurl" in Slack terms) with a page title and description.  I spent a couple of hours figuring out how to add Facebook's commonly used "og" meta tags to the Velocity template, but the link previews don't work.  I finally realized this is probably due to authentication:  Teams/Slack cannot fetch the content without some credentials, either mine or something baked into Teams.  

Is there some clever way around this?  BTW if it helps anyone, here's code I added to the Main Layout in Confluence.  I did not find, frankly, any useful docs on how to reference specific properties and did a lot of trial and error.  The URL bit isn't right but I'm stuck anyway ... 

## BEGIN LINK PREVIEW TAGS
<meta property="og:type" content="website" />
<meta property="og:url" content="$req.getServerName()" />
<meta property="og:title" content="$sitemeshPage.getProperty("title")" />
<meta property="og:description" content="$sitemeshPage.getProperty("title")" />
<meta property="og:image" content="$req.getServerName()$spaceManager.getLogoForGlobalcontext().getDownloadPath() " />
## END LINK PREVIEW TAGS  

1 answer

0 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 27, 2022

@John Price Unfortunately it will only pull the main space image and description and there is no way to adjust this.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events