cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limit documentation space access in Atlassian cloud

Michael Taslitz December 13, 2018

Hi, 

My company uses Confluence Cloud.

The process is beginning to migrate our documentation into a Confluence documentation space

The scenario we are trying to solve is:

• How do we make our Documentation spaces only available to verified customers without needing to purchase additional licenses?

We must be able to restrict the access to the documentation space even though we are using Confluence Cloud. But, we don't want to purchase additional licenses for our customers to view the documentation space. 

I have failed to find a posting that provides a clear answer with the settings required to meet this scenario. 

Thanks,

Michael Taslitz

1 answer

0 votes
Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 13, 2018

Hi @Michael Taslitz,

I think, you can not do this.

You can have an anonymus access to confluence. For that, you do not need additional licenses for the customers, but you can not control, who can set what.

If you want to control permissions/restrictions on a per customer base, you must have a license for them.

Maybe, but I never tried that before, you can achieve this with Jira Service Desk and additional add-ons.

Jira Service Desk allows to have a Confluence Space connected to an Customer Portal as knowledge base and according to the request/what the customer types in, relevant knowledgebase articles will be shown. And there are add-ons that let you control, which customers can see which portal. And by that, also which confluence pages are shown.

Michael Taslitz December 16, 2018

Hi, 

Thank you for the prompt and clear answer. 

Unfortunately, it confirmed my suspicion about this solution. My company is a start-up and does not want to invest in the additional license cost. 

Would you give me your opinion on the following alternative solution?

This alternative solution solves the license requirement issue. For any changes, the updated Confluence page is exported and then imported to the website.

Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 16, 2018

Hi,

You can do that when your content does not change regular. 

I am unsure,  how well links to other pages etc are exported, so this might be a problem. 

Michael Taslitz December 16, 2018

I will try this on a limited part of the space to see how it works. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events