Jira and Confluence automated backup using script

samir 3p March 28, 2016

I found an article: https://bitbucket.org/atlassianlabs/automatic-cloud-backup/src/e6eba2f9d096cfd0a7963243539d733c1d722b42/backup.sh?fileviewer=file-view-default

This is what I have been looking for. Using an ubuntu box I can create and keep a local copy of our JIRA system.

But-

1) How do I restore files from backup**.zip file ?

2) How do I do similar automated backup for confluence (I believe above script does JIRA only) ?

Thanks.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 28, 2016

Confluence Cloud has the same function in a similar place, all you'll need to do is adjust the urls a bit.

To restore the .zip files, use the application's "restore system" function you can find under "imports" in the admin sections.

samir 3p March 29, 2016

For JIRA it is-

INSTANCE=example.atlassian.net

So I'm assuming, for confluence it'd be-

INSTANCE=example.atlassian.net/wiki

Is that right?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 30, 2016

Yes, it should be.

Hamdy Atakora May 6, 2019

How did this work for you @samir 3p ? We have been trying to do the same on both libnux or windows but we keep getting an error that says

bash-3.2# sudo sh backup_jira.sh
starting the script: 06-05-2019
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?><status><status-code>401</status-code><message>Client must be authen
ticated to access this resource.</message></status>

Has anyone ran into this issue? If so how did you resolve it?

Thank you in advance.

Dario B
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 6, 2019

@Hamdy Atakora 

You are using an outdated version of the scripts that is still using cookie authentication that has been deprecated as announced long time ago in:

Newer version of the scripts to backup Jira and Confluence using API Tokens are available at the below url:

For more details about API_Token please see:

Let me know if this helps.

Cheers,
Dario

Mudassir Ali May 4, 2021

I have ran the script with needful changes but its never return.

Dario B
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 19, 2021

Hello @Mudassir Ali

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Please notice that this is a thread from 2016 and that the script linked in the first post is outdated and does not even exist anymore in:

As you can see there is no script named backup.sh anymore in above repository. Therefore, try to use the updated version of the desired backup script and, in case it won't work, create a new thread providing more information.

Cheers,
Dario

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events