Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jira + FishEye Smart Commits produce a RemoteAuthenticationException

David Müller November 11, 2013

We set up Smart Commits according to the documentation, meaning we enabled smart commits, added an application link and set up the users mapping for the project accordingly.

However, on every smart commit an email like the following one is sent to the admistrator and the smart commit fails:

Errors processing MYPROJECT-74 #time 5m

FishEye was unable to log '5m' against the issue 'MYPROJECT-74' because it could not be found, or you do not have permission to view it on any linked JIRA server.

FishEye was unable to log '5m' against the issue MYPROJECT-74 due to the following unexpected error: com.atlassian.jira.rpc.exception.RemoteAuthenticationException: Invalid username or password.

What can we do to fix this permission issue?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Felipe Kraemer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 20, 2013

Hi David,

1) So, you're using JIRA to manage your FishEye users. Do you have all JIRA users in FishEye? This can be seen if you click the Next >> button as shown in the screenshot. Please check if you're syncing with the jira-users group. If this is true, please make sure that you're using only Trusted Applications as authentication method.

2) As can be seen in the screenshot, you're using Basic Authentication as well, which means that FishEye will make requests to JIRA using the credentials of the "fisheye" user that can be seen in the screenshot, instead of the credentials of the real user who triggered the Smart Commit. The "fisheye" user probably does not have permission in the JIRA project MYPROJECT in order to perform the operation you've requested (log work), and that's probably why the administrator receives that email. Please disable Basic Access and try to use Trusted Applications only. Also, from JIRA side, please make sure that Incoming Authentication and Outgoing Authentication are configured as recommended in this document, making sure that IP Patterns and URL Patterns are correctly configured.

David Müller November 20, 2013

Thank you so much, got it working with your help finally!

1 vote
Felipe Kraemer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 13, 2013

Hi David,

It looks like the credentials of the user logged in FishEye are note the same of the user logged in JIRA. Could you please check if the username and password of the user logged in is the same in both sides?

Also, please check that you're not using Basic Authentication in the Application Link between JIRA and FishEye.

David Müller November 19, 2013

Hi Felipe, thanks for your answer!

1) I don't think that our fisheye actually has an own user base - like it seems to me, they are directly taken from Jira. See here:

2) I'm not sure if I got this right:

And:

Does this make sense to you?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events