Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JIRA project roles capability in Confluence for managing permissions in a granular way

Onder Ozcan January 20, 2020

Dear community,

Is there any macro, add-on or some sort of tweak to achieve project role capability in Confluence Cloud offering? All I want is that creating custom roles and assigning users to the correspondent roles to have granular permission in Confluence cloud just like in Jira Software!

Kind regards,

Onder

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 20, 2020

The best way to do what you are looking for in Confluence would be to create groups that correspond to your roles. Then you would assign permissions to the groups instead of users. After that is setup then you could simply add/remove users to the groups to grant permissions. It is a bit of setup work, but it will make Confluence permissions much easier. I do not assign any permissions or page restrictions to individual users. I ALWAYS assign permissions to groups ... even if it is just a group of one person.

Onder Ozcan January 21, 2020

Hi Davin,

Thank you for your swift reply. Actually, using groups for permission is pretty much what we're doing right now and this is where the administrative challenges emerge from. Let's say you have 90 projects in your Confluence. Then you end up having to create many many groups to imitate role in JIRA. I wish Atlassian's permission scheme was consistent across products. Again, thank you for your response.

Cheers

Onder

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2020

Yeah, it is unfortunate. I would recommend maybe using script to automate that process a bit for you so that it is not quite so tedious. One thing we did was use the Power Scripts for Confluence app to automate the creation of new spaces so that this is easier. You could also look into the REST/XML-RPC API's or possibly ScriptRunner for Confluence to make the process a little easier.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events