Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JIRA and Confluence

santosh srirangam November 5, 2015

Can we host JIRA and Confluence on same Webserver. We use Tomcat for hosting website.

2 answers

1 vote
Rodrigo Girardi Adami
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 5, 2015

Hi Santosh,

You can host the apps in the same server without problems, but we do not recommend using the same tomcat for both apps. 

Make sure you have plenty hardware specs for running both apps (RAM, disk space, external database) and you should be good.

Cheers!

Rodrigo

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 5, 2015

I'd like to emphasise Rodigo's "we do not recommend" sentence. It's correct, but I'd prefer to say it more simply as "Do NOT run the apps in the same Tomcat"

Mario Günter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 5, 2015

Hi santosh, if your instances are public I'd like to recommend a proxy, such as apache, independent from running both JIRA and confluence on one server, too. https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/16387764/confluence-and-jira-security---diffie-hellman-for-tls

0 votes
Adrien Ragot 2
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 5, 2015

Yes, you can install both on the same machine. But...

They must have different hostnames or context path, such as:

A different port isn't enough. The reasons is, the authentication cookies are both JSESSIONID, so when you log into Confluence, you're logged out of JIRA and opposite. Prefer a different hostname.

Have a look at the system requirements: JIRA system requirements, Confluence system requirements.

You can't install both in the same Tomcat. If I remember well, deploying in your own Tomcat isn't supported anymore because people misconfigure it every time - You must use the versions of Tomcat embedded in the product (it's in the Confluence requirements)

I've found it easy to install them on the same machine on whatever port, then using Nginx. Nginx redirects port 443 (https), provides the SSL authentication, and chooses whether to redirect to JIRA or Confluence.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events