Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to see a page in a new version?

NM November 30, 2016

Hi All,

I want to display a message in all pages of my space with a link that jumps to the newer version of the page, without having to add URLs manually.

Is there a way to do this please? 

Thanks!

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
NM December 6, 2016

For anyone looking into this thread, this is what I have been looking for: Confluence Space Jump Macro. See https://confluence.atlassian.com/conf59/space-jump-macro-792499201.html.

0 votes
NM December 2, 2016

Exactly! Thank you!!!

I know there's a solution for this. I saw it somewhere a while back but I can't find it now. I think Confluence uses it on their own docs.

0 votes
Doug Swartz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 1, 2016

Nidesha,

If Rob's suggestion is correct, do you have each version in it's own Confluence space? If you do, you should be able to do a single alteration to the documentation page template in the old version's space to add the message to each page for the old version.

NM December 2, 2016

Rob's question is correct. That's exactly what I am trying to do. 

I want a link in each page- something that goes to the same page in the old documentation space, without me having to fill the URL manually. So this should ideally be a plugin kind of thing that automatically reads the old space key or something.

Rob Woodgate
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 5, 2016

Hi Nirdesha,

Unfortunately I don't know of any way to do this automatically.  Hopefully the clarification of the question will allow someone else to answer though....

if you find a solution can you post it here for future reference?

NM December 7, 2016

Hi Rob, I found that the SpaceJump macro does the job.

Rob Woodgate
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 7, 2016

Hi Nirdesha,

Glad to hear you found a solution smile

0 votes
Rob Woodgate
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 30, 2016

Hi Nirdesha,

It sounds like you're using Confluence for documentation and you've got pages for different versions of [whatever you're documenting].  So you've got pages for version 1, for example, and when people go to one of the version 1 pages you want an automatic link to the same page for version 2. 

Is that correct?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 30, 2016

I don't quite understand the question.  When you look at a confluence page, you are always looking at the current version (i.e. "newer").  The url for a page does not change when you edit it and create a newer version.

To look at older versions of a page, you have to be digging through the page history.  Which has a link to the current version on it already.

So, I'm not really sure what you are looking for here?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 3, 2016

Right, so it's nothing to do with page history or versions.

You are looking for something that can present Confluence pages or spaces as a set of docs directly related to an event such as a software release.  I think you need to look at something like "Scroll versions".

NM December 4, 2016

Nic, this is my requirement:

1. I already have multiple spaces for multiple versions of a documentation. 
  2. Usually, users find the old documentation through a Google search. 
  3. When the user comes to the old documentation, I want to show them a link that goes as "view the same page in the newer version of the documentation".
  4. The link should be generated from a macro/plugin so that I don't have to manually give the URL of the new version.

I explored the "Scroll versions" plugin but since I already have multiple spaces for multiple versions, I don't think that suggestion works. Confluence used to do this through some kind of plugin/macro that they add to the header.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events