Is there a way to restrict space/page view access from a user or group?

bstinson February 12, 2018

Let's say I have a space that I want everyone in the company to be able to see except a certain group or user. Is there a way to say grant access to the AllUser group and prevent justThisOneGroup from being able to access?

The only way I have found so far is to remove the AllUsers group and add every departmentGroup with view access except justThisOneGroup.

It's tedious doing it the way I describe. It would be nicer if you could change restrict privileges "to" these groups into restrict privileges "from" these groups. As in prevent this group from viewing this space. That way I could add all users to the view access and then add the one or two groups to the restrict from view access.

1 answer

1 vote
Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 12, 2018

Well, that is the way you have to do it. Confluence permissions are inherited, so you have to break up your big group into group1 and group2. No way I know of around this. A customer of mine had to do something similar by moving contractors to their own group, so that there was an employees only, and a contractor group.

bstinson February 14, 2018

Documentation states (and I verified the behavior) that you can add a group from the admin UI and then just remove all the permissions for that group and hit save. The group will disappear from the list in the admin UI but when you go to the page or space from the frontend you will see that yourGroupYouAddedWithNoPrivs "Has No Access". It's hard to trust when it disappears from the list in the Admin UI and it isn't helpful for a user looking to restrict access to their space. It would be nice if "Has No Access" was just one of the selections in the restriction list.

GG February 19, 2018

Yes, the Confluence Permissions tab only shows users or groups who have access to that Space. The tricky part is that Confluence Permissions are additive: if you add all Confluence Users (confluence-users group) to the Space,  yourGroupYouAddedWithNoPrivs will also have access to the Space, even if you added them and unchecked all the checkboxes (as they are members of the confluence-users group). 

So I also recommend creating a group for everyone except that special group.

For a clearer picture on who can see what, I highly recommend the Ultimate Permission Manager app. It will show and explain which user can see the Space / Pages and why.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/hu.metainf.plugin.confluence.ultimate-permission-manager/server/overview

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events