Is there a way to have a Confluence user have access to ONLY one space?

Yola Mui September 30, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Space Permissions Overview

It seems like you have to be a member of confluence-users group to see ANY spaces. However, what if I want to have a set of users access to only one space but NOT any others? Is that possible?

1 answer

0 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 30, 2016

Hi Tim,

Sure. Each Confluence space has its own, independent permissions. If you don't want the confluence-users group to have access to a specific space, just make sure to exclude it when setting up the permissions for that space.

It is perfectly possible to add a group for one single space (e.g. you might create a Marketing group for the users of your marketing space and adding just that group to the space).

Yola Mui September 30, 2016

Hi Walter,

Here's what I tried:

1. Set up a new space.
  2. Removed the confluence-user group from the space permissions.
  3. Added a single user to the space permissions.

When I log in with that user, and try to access that space, I get this error:

Not Permitted

You are not permitted to perform this operation.

If I give confluence-users permissions to the space, I can get to it with my user but the user can see all other spaces too, which is what I do NOT want.

Thanks,

Tim

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 1, 2016

Hi Tim,

That adding the confluence-user group makes all spaces available to the user makes perfect sense. It means that he belongs to that group and the group has access to all other spaces.

There's a few things you should take a look at. 

• If you do not want the user have access to all spaces, make sure to remove the user from the confluence-users group.
  • While you're there, consider adding the user to a specific group that you want to use for restricted access.
  • Removing your user from the confluence-users will almost certainly have revoked the user's access to Confluence alltogether. So in Global Permissions make sure the user has 'Can Use Confluence' permission. Assign this permission to the group you added the user to in step 2.
  • Then move to the space where you want to grant the user access to and go to Space Permissions there.
  • If you want other users to have access to the space, leave the confluence-users group in place.
  • Add the specific user group and grant it the same permissions as the confluence-users group.

And then you should be ok.

Yola Mui October 3, 2016

Hi Walter,

Thanks, I figured this out. It turns out you HAVE to a member of confluence-users to have access to any spaces. BUT, confluence-users does not have to have access to any specific space. So I added the users to confluence-users and removed confluence-users from the space permissions.

Thanks,

Tim

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events