Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to configure Confluence Cloud as a read-only site?

Rodolfo Romero - Adaptavist October 21, 2021

Is there a way to configure Confluence Cloud as a read-only site?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Rodolfo Romero - Adaptavist November 15, 2021

Unfortunately, there isn't a simple method to make a Confluence site read-only.

0 votes
Kishan Sharma
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 21, 2021

Hi @Rodolfo Romero - Adaptavist Complementary to Suvradip's answer, if you're on the free plan, you can't change the space permissions. To set permissions on spaces, you will need upgrade your plan to Standard or Premium. So yes, with proper space permissions you can make a confluence site read only.

Suvradip Paul
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 21, 2021

Thanks  @Kishan Sharma  for pointing that out and clarifying. 

Like Kishan Sharma likes this

This is for a Standard subscription so setting up permissions is not an problem but we would prefer to not have to change the permissions for over 200 spaces. Thanks anyway.

Kishan Sharma
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 22, 2021

I can understand if there are 200 spaces, this it not an easy thing to do. There was this suggestion to make confluence cloud site read only (which is very much possible in Server/Data Center version), but it was closed and there is no commitment from Atlassian at this point when this particular feature will get to their roadmap. I would also suggest raising a support ticket with Atlassian Support to see if they can give you some other ideas on how you can achieve it.

0 votes
Suvradip Paul
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 21, 2021

Hi @Rodolfo Romero - Adaptavist ,

Did you ask the same for JSW?I think I have just seen another thread.

Yes, we need to the migration for Jira Cloud and Confluence Cloud to another platform and as I don't know if the answer is the same for both, I created 2 separate threads. If the answer is the same, great too.

Suvradip Paul
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 21, 2021

Confluence can be restricted with space permissions .

Please check this blog - https://stiltsoft.com/blog/2017/08/a-useful-hack-to-quickly-make-your-confluence-space-read-only/

Let me know if that helps you.

Thanks for the suggestion Suvradip. I am very aware of the permissions through spaces but we have more than 200 spaces that we need to migrate. I was looking for an option that would not require to make this type of changes in the permission configuration and allow to make the whole site read-only. I believe there isn't one, it seems.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events