cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it safe to replace embedded server.xml with previous copy during upgrade

EddieW
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 28, 2013

I assume the answer is "as long as the underlying tomcat version is the same" but I was looking if anyone had experience.

We have a fully automated script that does all the minor little "tweaks" needed for an upgrade.

• crowd.properties
  • seraph-config.xml
  • JRE keystore changes
  • server.xml fixes (proxy, context, thread counts)

All the rest are pretty easy sed based interactions, or a call to keytool. But the server.xml file is a bit more complex in terms of replacements, and for now just prompts the admin to make the changes manually and restart.

I would prefer to just dump the new one, and use our previous, valid one, but was curious if anyone had success or horror stories, or if anyone at Atlassian had an official stance.

1 answer

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Ryan Goodwin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 29, 2013

Hi Eddie,

The server.xml is one of those files I always copy over to my upgrade or new install locations. It's way easier to copy paste then to edit the file again. There's nothing to my knowledge that will not work as long as you're not jumping to Tomcat 7 in which case I would reference the documentation to make sure none of the parameters names have changed or similar.

Success galore, no horror. For upgrading we usually recommend copying over all of the customizations - which is a vague way of saying any file that has been modified from the original distribution - server.xml included!

Hope this helps!

EddieW
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 29, 2013

Thanks @Ryan, that's just what I was looking for. I'll add server.xml to the files I just copy over.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events