Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to show logs from scripts in Scriptrunner console without collecting them ?

ABoerio February 24, 2021

Hi, 

I sometimes generate long lists of log statements, while debugging scripts used to extract data from spaces, pages, etc... 

These are all collected in the atlassian.confluence.log, as I see.

I'm starting to define a specific logger, for later easier reading, but in some cases I'd like to not have those logs recorded at all.

Is there a way to keep seeing them in the console, without writing them in the log file?

The idea is to avoid this log file getting bigger and bigger.

Below an example code, which I'd like to modify obtaining only console viewing

import org.apache.log4j.Logger
import org.apache.log4j.Level

def myLog = Logger.getLogger("Testing Logger")
myLog.setLevel(Level.DEBUG)

myLog.debug("Starting ...")

//Do something

myLog.debug ("Finished.")

Another idea I had in mind was to actually append the log lines as strings in a simple text file to be placed where I want, instead of using the real logger, but I'd like to keep the console visualizazion.

Thanks in advance for any hint.

Ciao, Andrea

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
WW
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 5, 2022

Instead of logging, you could put the "log" messages into a variable, then use "return" at the end to display the contents of the variable.  They will appear in the Console's Result tab instead of the Log tab.

This would allow you to keep your "console visualization." 

Each time you run the script in the Console, though, the Result tab will reset with the new results.  So, be sure you really don't want to keep the results.

You can use HTML tags to format your output, too.

For example:

String results = "<p>Starting ...</p>"

//Do something

results += "<p>Finished.</p>"

return results

However, if you've got a TON of data that you're logging with one run of the script, you probably do want to somehow put the results in another format.  The Console Result screen does have a limit as to how many lines it can handle before it misbehaves.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events