Is it possible to override this email address validation error for European domains?

Is it possible to override this email address validation error for European domains? The email address ends in @cam.ac.uk:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/58711zccua6u6p9/s87ks.png?dl=0

1 answer

0 vote

Hi, Jenn, 

Can you let me know which form exactly this is throwing the error? There are no periods in your username as well, is there?

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Hi Shannon,

Thanks so much for your reply!

This is the "Add a user" form. Correct, there are no periods in the username of the user I'm creating.

Jenn

Thanks, Jenn,

This one, correct? 

Screen Shot 2017-09-29 at 5.03.32 PM.png

Can you confirm the version of Confluence you are using? Do you mind if I test with one of the email addresses from your domain? If you have a test email I could use that is throwing the error can you let me know? I'd like to report this as a bug but I want to make sure I can replicate the issue.

Lastly, are you able to invite users without having the error?

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Correct! Here's a full screenshot:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qn4ag7vcbh09zzt/s91ks.png?dl=0

Confluence Server 6.2.0. We don't operate @cam.ac.uk, so I don't have a test email you could use, unfortunately. :(

Yes, I'm able to invite users with having the error.

Jenn

Thank you, Jenn!

Does it occur the moment you enter the email address or after you click Add?

And the invite functionality does function as a workaround, for now then? 

Kind Regards,
Shannon

It occurs after clicking Add.

I haven’t tried the invite as a workaround. I’ll try it!

Is there a solution for getting the email domain to work? Or do you think it’s a bug?

Jenn

Shannon, is there a solution for getting the email domain to work? Or do you think it’s a bug?

Jenn

Hi Jenn,

It could be, but it does seem to work with other European domains, so I'm trying to track down the pattern. I will find out how to replicate it so I can report it and come back to you here with the bug ticket.

Thank you for your patience!

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Jenn,

I've tested this on Confluence 6.2.0, 6.2.1, and 6.4.1 using both a *.nl address and I even tested with your own domain but I am not able to replicate the problem.

Could you tell me, what are you using as user management in Confluence - is it the built-in one, connected to Jira for user management, or something else, such as LDAP?

As for the username you censored - does it have any characters in it other than numbers/letters?

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Hi Shannon,

Thanks so much for testing!

I'm using the built-in user management. Confluence only, no Jira. The username is only letters, no numbers or characters. Does that change anything?

Jenn

Jenn,

That's the same I tested with, unfortunately. I did find some bugs that say if the email contains unicode it won't go through, and one from the past if there's a dot in the username, but that doesn't appear to apply to your case.

Do you have this problem with other domains or all other users on the same domain?

Please also open Confluence Home on your server, go to /logs, and find the atlassian-confluence.log. You can then attempt adding the user again, and then check the logs to see what errors occur.

Please post the output here.

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Kesha Thillainayagam
Posted Apr 13, 2018 in Confluence

We want to hear how your non-technical teams are using Confluence!

Hi Community! Kesha (kay-sha) from the Confluence marketing team here! Can you share stories with us on how your non-technical (think Marketing, Sales, HR, legal, etc.) teams are using Confluen...

2,798 views 26 10
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you