Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interspace Links

MPal Pal July 10, 2012

I have another tricky scenario with links and I hope someone can help me out please.

Say I have two spaces: A and B. Page a in space A has a link to to page b in space B. I create a new space C, and move both page a and b to space C.

This is what I want: When I click the link in page a which is now in space C to direct to page b in space C.

Is this possible?

Any clue will be really appreciated.

5 answers

0 votes
MPal Pal July 17, 2012

Thanks for your help guys, I think the problem is because I copy, move and rename. :(

0 votes
MPal Pal July 17, 2012

Thanks Nic, Nope I do not move the page. I copy the page and move it and rename it. So the original page is always there in space B.

Paul Curren
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 17, 2012

What do you mean by copy and then move?

If you take a copy of Page b then this is a whole new page. Lets call it Page b2.

Page a has no reference to this page. So if you move b2 this will have no effect on page a at all. They have no relationship.

I think you might be better breaking down for us in a step by step fashion exactly what it is you are doing and then we might be able to understand the behaviour you are experiencing.

0 votes
MPal Pal July 17, 2012

Thanks for the reply Paul. I am using internal space to space linking. Not hyperlinks. I have third party plugins installed like "copy space", "Tech time's Easy SEO", "copy page tree" etc.

I am not sure how they can interfere with the linking though.

0 votes
MPal Pal July 14, 2012

Hey Paul,

Thanks so much for your answer. Although this is how it should happen, it does not happen this way :(

I tried this scenario:

1. Page a in space A has a link to page b in space B
  2. I move both a and b to space C
  3. From space C I click the link in page a
  4. Unfortunately, I get directed to B:b insteaad of C:b

What am I doing wrong? I use Confluence 4.2.2

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 14, 2012

You are using internal linking and not plain hyperlinks?

When you say you get directed to B:b, what happens when you land there? It should redirect you to the new location and tell you it's moved?

Paul Curren
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 15, 2012

I can't think of anything you are doing wrong. It sounds like are encountering a bug.

I can't reproduce the problem - it seems to work fine for me. Is there anything being shown in your server logs that might help explain the problem?

In addition, do you have any 3rd party plugins installed that may be interfering with the link refactoring process?

MPal Pal July 17, 2012

Hi Nic, Nope I do not move the page. I copy the page and move it and rename it. So the original page is always there in space B.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 17, 2012

Argh! Then why did you tell us you were moving it when you're not?

It's doing exactly what it should be doing, page A points at page B which has NOT moved. So there's nothing for confluence to update.

0 votes
Paul Curren
Atlassian Team
July 11, 2012

Hi there.

The behaviour you describe is exactly what should happen.

The first move of page a to space C does not invoke any link refactoring. The link to page b was always absolute (e.g. [B:b]) and will remain valid even from space C.

The second move of page b to space C will cause link refactoring to modify page a so that it's link now becomes [C:b].

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events